Chapter 15 [Final]

Everything changed after that day. You saw Jae less than before. Scarcely ever, actually. It was like he barely even went to school. And when he did, he managed to avoid you. He even distanced himself from Younghyun, something that really shocked you. It was his best friend, after all.

You heard he had broken things off with Sohyun for good the same evening. She kept pretending like she dumped him, and that it didn't affect her at all. She isn't a particularly good actress.

To be completely honest, you hadn't really missed him. Okay, maybe a little. When you weren't occupied. Which was a rare happening. Your mind was nearly always working at full throttle, stuffed with things to do, tasks to complete, places to be, people to talk to. You only got a few hours off during a regular week. Not that it bothered you. You felt much more free. Your head hadn't been that clear for a long time, despite the inhumane amount of things you managed to deal with. You felt good.

And it wasn't like your life was empty now that you had lost your two best, closest and oldest friends. Younghyun often crashed at your place as he lived by himself and often felt lonely. If people saw one of you, the possibility of not spotting the other within a matter of seconds was lower than the chances of the two of you engaging in a real relationship. Nonetheless, it didn't surprise you how people kept thinking you were a couple.

Dowoon would also join you pretty often, and Wonpil as well. From time to time. You had your own small but incredible group of friends. If one was upset, the others had their back. You had someone to rely on. A solid base.

And of course, there was him. Sungjin.

For a while, Sohyun had tried to get ahold of him. He told you it had gotten to the extent where he considered changing his number. But as she failed to receive his love and attention, the amount of calls slowly decreased and soon she was out of his life as well.

You and Sungjin had gotten even closer than before. At first, you mostly just met up to study together outside of school. But as time passed by, you dared yourself to ask him if he wanted to meet up for a cup of coffee without any school books. Fortunately, he said yes. You felt your heart skip a beat when he smilingly agreed. And for the first time ever, you suddenly became very self-conscious in his presence.

When the day finally arrived, you nearly threw yourself out of a window. Your body was shaking more than ever and you considered whether or not you should just call off the whole thing. You were pretty concerned. Had you gotten sick? You didn't want to infect Sungjin. But Younghyun, who was, surprisingly (not), at your house, had a different theory.

With that supercilious smirk of his, he told you how he thought you were nervous. Because of Sungjin. You had rolled your eyes and smacked his arm with a "Yah." He even went as far as talking about a possible crush. How could he even think that? Though you didn't want to admit it, your stomach still twisted when you saw Jae for the brief moments they were. And no matter how little you liked it, it was a fact that you still hadn't gotten over Jae.

In the end, you ended up throwing on a not so randomly selected outfit and went to the cafe, where you found Sungjin waiting. You had never actually noticed how great he looked until that moment. It felt like you played the lead roles in a drama. Time slowed down as you neared him. A light breeze rustled the trees, sending a single bronze leaf out and letting it descend right next to the boy. The wind grazed his coordinated mess of cocoa locks. His hands were exposed from the pockets of his navy coat to the chilly air as he peeked down at his phone. His long index finger slid across the screen and he pressed the device against his ear. A second later, his face brightened up, a smile plastered on his face. He nodded a few times, laughing a little. Then his attention turned to you as if he suddenly felt your presence. His smile softened as your eyes locked. He mumbled something to the caller and let the phone slide back into his pocket, not breaking eye contact once. Embarrassment flooded your body and your eyes fell to the ground. You bit your lip.