Chapter 4:

Chapter 4:

"I don't see anything

"I don't see anything." Derek said, not even bothered by the way Allison was practically glaring at him.

"Look again." Scott said.

Derek's eyes flickered over to Emily who was sitting on top of one of the desks, seemingly lost within her mind. "How is a bruise gonna tell me where Boyd and Erica are?" He asked rudely, he was annoyed that they were just wasting his time.

"It's the same on both sides." The beta insisted, pointing to the bruises that both girls had. "Exactly the same."

"It's nothing."

"Pareidolia." Lydia said smartly and noticed the odd looks she got. "Seeing patterns that aren't there. It's a subset of apophenia."

"They're trying to help." Scott muttered quietly.

"These two." Derek looked at him in disbelief and proceeded to point to the strawberry blonde. "This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic Uncle. Thank you." He turned to the brunette. "And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack."

"Okay, all right, now, come on." Stiles cut in, hoping to lessen the obvious tension between the alpha and former huntress. He side glanced Emily for a second, taking in how quiet she was before looking back at the group. "No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction."

"My mother died." Allison said quietly, still grieving that loss. Stiles glanced away awkwardly, having forgotten that detail.

"Your family's little honor code killed your mother." Derek reminded her in a low, harsh tone when he noticed that her eyes never left his. "Not me."

"That girl was looking for Scott." She stood her ground as she stared at him. "I'm here to help him, not you."

"You wanna help?" He asked. "Find something real." He walked away with Scott following right behind him.

Lydia glanced at Emily who seemed to be knocked out of her thoughts when the door slammed. She got up from the desk, leaving the room without giving them a second glance. Scott and Derek had been the only one's able to smell the anger radiating off of her but had held back on commenting on it.

oOo

"The stock market is based on two principles." Coach slammed the book on the desk. "What are they?" His eyes fell on the captain of the lacrosse team. "Yes, McCall, you can go to the bathroom." He looked around looking around for anyone who could know the answer. "Anybody else?"

"Uh, no, coach, I know the answer." The beta said awkwardly.

Coach laughed. "Hahahahaha." He stopped when he saw the look on the teens face. "Oh, you're serious."