Chapter 73

Jaden's boots crunched in the snow as he walked to the kennels. It had been five days since the battle, and snow had fallen almost every night since. The pure white blanket shone fiercely now under the morning sun.

The citizens of Veicira had returned to their homes, leaving the usual populace of nobles and servants to dwell within the castle's walls.

Most city folk were angry. Every day, Jaden received new petitions asking that he demand monetary retribution from the Azurians for looted goods and damaged property. Jaden had sent an emissary, though he suspected Emperor Neros would only use this as an opportunity to ask for Zemisha back in exchange. Which would never happen.

The master of the kennels – an affable old man with a thick woolen coat that flapped in the wind – was waiting for Jaden with two big, beautiful dogs. One had dark fur and yellow eyes, the other was pale grey with vibrant blue eyes. They'd grown their thicker winter fur and were rather fluffy.

"I'm glad you're taking them away, to be honest." The master handed Jaden their leashes. "They're always so sad, it makes the other dogs depressed!"

"Thanks for taking care of them," Jaden said.

He made his way back to the keep, Onyx and Warrior trailing after him, occasionally sniffing the snow with their snouts. After exchanging a nod with the guards, Jaden led the dogs inside across marble floors, making a left into the east wing.

Tessa was fully recovered – physically, at least. After Noah had described Tessa's fall, Ambry had stressed that the former queen was incredibly lucky to be alive. Jaden had given his sister her chambers back, as well as her gardens, though she would have to wait until after the long Felleran winter to enjoy them again.

Presently, Jaden found Tessa seated on the windowsill, in a fine dress of dark blue silk, the marks that vined across her skin partly hidden beneath a black shawl. The dogs bounced excitedly towards her as Jaden released them. They were well-trained so didn't bark, but they obviously wanted to, letting out hopeful little yelps and wagging their tails.

Tessa's eyes lit up, her lips curling into a wide smile as she greeted them. The shawl slipped from her shoulders as she hugged and petted the dogs, scratching behind their ears, patting their sides, her long curls falling forward and veiling part of her face.

But she still didn't speak.

She hadn't said a single word since waking up. She wouldn't even talk to Tomas Clay, who came to visit her every day, Jaden had heard. Tessa also refused to speak with Morgan Ellyus, which saddened the priest greatly. Apparently, his sermons at the castle's temple weren't the same as they once were. 

As Jaden sat on a sofa, Tessa didn't acknowledge him and continued petting her dogs.

Jaden had asked Ambry if Tessa's mind could have been damaged by the shock of the fall. According to the healer, there was no way to know for sure, but her personal opinion was that Tessa remained silent by choice. Her trauma seemed of a psychological nature.

"Noah's leaving the castle today," Jaden said quietly, without looking directly at Tessa. "To tell you the truth, I'm going to miss him very much. He'll be traveling with Kili, a stunning girl who used to be an elf, then became a demon, and now . . . Well, we don't really know what she is now, but they love each other, and that's what matters, isn't it?"

Of course, Tessa said nothing. However, a darting glance revealed that her smile had faded somewhat, and she appeared to be listening. Her dogs had calmed down a bit, though their tails still wagged happily across the violet rug.

"They're headed for Clearwater," Jaden went on, "to catch one of the last ships to Nimis. I'm a bit envious . . . Although, I might get to experience glimpses of it through this strange bond we share." Jaden's hand absently rose to his chest.