Chapter 32

An emergency council meeting was convened the morning after Matt's burial. Jaden was seated at the end of a long table holding several maps, stacks of parchment, fresh ink pots and quills.

To his left sat Fredrick Nightvale, his wife Nissy and the twins. To his right were Kitera, Kemon, and Lord Vincent, the veteran captain of the Veicira Militia. At the other end of the table, High Priest Morgan Ellyus sat leaning forward, wrinkled hands tightly clasped before him.

Servants came in with trays of teapots and porcelain cups, ensuring everyone was served before leaving them to their meeting.

"Thank you all for being here," Jaden said, wondering whether they could tell how sleep-deprived and anxious he was.

Colin broke the silence, "I would like to know what will happen to Zemisha D'Azuriani." Earlier, Kitera had given Jaden a trick to differentiate the twins; Colin had an extra mole on the cheek.

"She wishes to stay here!" Damian added fervently. Jaden wondered if the twins were aware that they could not both marry the Azurian Emperor's daughter.

"I shall . . . think about it, and get back to you at the next meeting." Jaden had never met Zemisha and had no idea whether she should be staying. The twins seemed to consider this, then they nodded and leaned back in their chairs with uncanny synchronicity.

After sipping his tea, Fredrick reached for the nearest stack of parchment. Dipping a quill in ink, he started to scribble down what had been said. Jaden looked up as the priest cleared his throat.

"I must bring up the incoming seasonal meeting of the religious community. Priests across the realm will meet here in the capital. They will all be eager to learn of your decision concerning ritual sacrifice. Many wish for it to be reinstated, as you all know."

Jaden lowered his gaze. "Forgive my bluntness, but I will do no such thing."

When he glanced up again, Morgan was glaring at him with unconcealed hatred. "Then please forgive this, Highness, but whatever was the point of a coup if your wish is to carry on with what the queen was already working towards with her best efforts?"

"Make no mistake, there are things I very much wish to change. You haven't yet given me a chance to—"

There was a soft knock on the door, and Moira Dawnson tilted her head in.

"Sorry I'm late . . ."

Jaden's chest filled with warmth as he rose from his chair. "You decided to come after all."

She made her way to his side of the table, looking lovely in a dress the color of red wine. Jaden preferred the simplicity of Moira's garment to the profuse and supposedly fashionable affair worn by Lady Nissy.

As Jaden greeted her with a kiss on the cheek, Moira whispered in his ear, "You were right, it's better to have something to do."

Then Moira pulled herself a chair between Jaden and Kitera.

"What's the meaning of this?" Morgan blasted.

"Watch your tone, priest," Kitera said.

Before Morgan could explode again, Jaden explained, "I have offered to Lady Moira the position of personal advisor."

Moira smiled. "And I formally accept."

Jaden noticed the furtive glances Kemon sent towards Moira, and wondered what that was about.

"Isn't she perhaps a bit young?" Nissy objected. The Laethi accent's usual charm was lost in her snappy tone.

"Moira is seventeen," Jaden said. "Making her two years older than your sons, my lady. Shall we move on?"