Chapter 70

Jaden finished lacing his boots, then strapped on his bow and quiver. As he looked up into the glass, the face staring back seemed to belong to a stranger. Having his own chambers in the the keep and leading the castle's defense – that was so far from anything he'd envisioned for his life. At best, he had hoped to make a name for himself in the army and become an archery master like Gareth. Then someday find a place where he could live with Matt.

The thought of him snared Jaden's heart as he scraped back and tied his hair. People claimed it would get easier with time. Well, so far, it only grew more painful every day. More difficult to accept he was really gone.

Someone appeared in the glass then, standing in the doorway. Tall and handsome with a head of tiny black braids and silver studs in his ears.

"You should really have a guard at your door. What if a thief or a murderer walked in?"

"Are you a thief or a murderer?" Jaden asked.

Bryani pretended to think about it. "Can I be both?"

Jaden chuckled as he joined him in the middle of the room. "How's your sister?"

"She's okay." Bryani sighed. "I just wish she wouldn't fight tonight."

Jaden adjusted the straps across his chest. "I know. But at this point I don't think anyone could stop her from being out there."

"She's a stubborn one," Bryani agreed. Then there was a pause, and he seemed nervous.

"What is it?" Jaden prompted.

"I've been meaning to ask you something." Bryani nibbled at his bottom lip. "Are you in love with Zemisha?"

"In love? No."

Bryani shrugged, avoiding Jaden's gaze. "It's just, lots of people have been talking about it lately. So I had to ask."

"We're good friends," Jaden said. "But, I told you, I'm still in love with Matt . . . it still hurts. I'm not ready."

"And once you're ready, who will you choose?"

Jaden crossed his arms and glanced to the side. "I don't even know if I'll make it through the night . . ."

"Ah, fuck," Bryani muttered. "I'm sorry, Jaden. I didn't mean to be so pushy. Guess I'm a little on edge with everything going on."

"Well, I can relate to that."

After a short silence, Bryani looked up at Jaden's bow. "You're going to the wall now? It's still a few hours 'til nightfall."

"I don't know what else to do with myself."

"Yeah, I get it."

Jaden wasn't sure he did, though he kept his thoughts to himself.

"Well, I should go." Bryani pointed behind himself with his thumb. "Ambry asked me to fetch more bandages. Can you just promise me one thing?"

"Depends on the thing."

"Please stay alive." His dark brown eyes were deep and solemn.

"I'll do my best," Jaden said.

***

Shivering in the night wind as she climbed the stone stairs to the top of the wall, Kitera regretted not wearing an extra pair of wool trousers over her uniform. Well, no matter, she'd get warm soon enough.

She skidded to a halt as she saw Master Gareth pacing back and forth behind the line of archers, a longbow hitched to his back.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.