Chapter 17

In Kitera's room, the servants had tended to the hearth and it roared and crackled, chasing away the chill of night. A vase full with freshly cut yellow roses and red chrysanthemums stood on the nightstand. Breathing in the sweet scent, Jaden turned to Kitera.

"You reckon he might try to leave without us?" Jaden asked.

The lavender dress had been swapped for a pair of tan breeches and a linen shirt. Kitera clearly intended to be prepared for riding at any moment.

"He might," she said.

Jaden went to sit on the bed next to her. Admiring her profile, his gaze lingered on the tiny shimmering studs, one in her nose, and many more along her ear, bright and pale against the darkness of her skin and hair.

"Do you like them?" Kitera asked.

"They're beautiful."

She smiled. "Azurian fashion. My mother has them, too, and my siblings."

"Did you ever live there?" Jaden asked.

"No, but my mother did when she was young. She describes the city of Azuria as a place where every single street offers something sumptuous to behold. Palaces, temples, theatres everywhere. And even in the winter you can be comfortable outside without a coat on." Kitera voiced a faint laugh. "I think she misses it sometimes."

"Can't say I blame her," Jaden said.

After a short silence, Kitera cleared her throat. "Shall we take turns to keep watch then? Just in case."

"I suppose that would be wise."

He insisted upon taking the first turn, letting Kitera fall asleep with her typical uncanny ease. Jaden was left wondering how it was that the burden of betraying her friend did not trouble her rest.

Crossing the room, Jaden poured himself a glass of water from the silver pitcher and sipped it while staring into the fire. Searing flames leaping from the grate, licking at his chest, a woman's scream . . .

Shuddering, he turned away from the hearth, wishing he could forget the nightmares, knowing he could not. Yes, he mused, staying awake was preferable, though the waiting was long.

***

Still formidable due to rigorous maintenance brought about by the Fairlocks wealth, the manor was nonetheless very old, with creaking floors and door hinges that sometimes lacked proper oiling. Noah undoubtedly attempted discretion, yet Jaden heard him when he returned to his room.

And he heard him again when, in the middle of the night, Noah left his room once more.

Jaden hurriedly woke Kitera.

"My turn?" she muttered in a groggy voice.

"No. I reckon he's on his way to steal it. Come on."

Shaking off sleep, Kitera stepped in her boots, stomping to make her feet touch the floor. They rushed to the hall in time to catch Noah turning a corner. They sneaked after him, Jaden snatching an oil lamp from its bracket.

Peering into the corridor, they saw Noah stepping inside a room and leaving the door ajar. Jaden thudded along, Kitera in tow.

"How do we play this?" she whispered. "We can't hide from him. You're not a good enough spy for that. No offense."

"Some taken," Jaden said. "No matter. I'll do the talking."

As they simply showed up in the doorway, Noah cast a guarded look towards them.