•5•

The frame door swung closed, its old sides hitting the hallway molding and shuddering on its hinges. Kailas stood by the door, quietly slipping his shoes off as if not to disturb the furniture around him, he hoped he was the only one in the house.

Kailas slowly unwound the scarf from around his face and neck. The house wasn't that much warmer then outside, but it was warm enough for Kailas's skin to tingle as it started to thaw. His throat felt like slowly melting ice, it was numb yet Kailas could feel burning as he inhaled, getting back feeling in his throat, causing his breathing to sound more like a smokers cough then anything else. Kailas's bag slipped off his shoulder, falling next to his shoes with a small thump. He slid down the hall, dragging his sock covered feet over the hardwood floor and into the next room.

Kailas's heart lodged in his throat. He stopped, standing still in the hallway, not daring to move. He tried not to breath, as he stared, shocked, at the back of his dads head.

The man sat hunched over the small dining room table, a small glass sat on the table in front of him, Kailas could see the half melted ice cubes swirling around the amber liquid still inside. His long big calloused fingers were pressing against the side of the glass opposite to Kailas. He barely moved but the slightest twitch of his fingers made a small cling, cling, against the glass. Kailas stood straight as a board. He was flabbergasted, that the man in front of him was capable of making such a small delicate sound, almost musical.

"Why aren't you in school?"

Kailas sucked in a breath. His voice was rough, croaky, wet; it caused a shiver to run down Kailas's spine, yet he wasn't yelling. Maybe that's what unnerved Kailas the most, the fact he wasn't yelling. His actual voice was the same, yet he sounded more exhausted, then in rage.

"It's Saturday..." Kailas breathed, his voice a quiet pathetic sound that raised an octave at the end. His mouth began to tremble, but not from the cold.

His dad was still looking down, he didn't move, the clinging sound had stopped, and Kailas felt a bit sad. He downed the glass, placing it down carefully. He held the cup in his hand on the table. He didn't turn to Kailas. "Where were you?" his voice held no life, but it had emotion, like at one point in another life even, he was filled with so much life that now the only thing showing was grief, a deep grieving for something that couldn't be replaced.

That's why you drink, Kailas thought.

His dad turned slowly in his chair to Kailas. Kailas stared at the collar of his shirt. His breathing became quick as the silence dragged on. Kailas didn't know what to say to that, either way, he would be mad. Kailas's trembling moved from his jaw to his shoulders, the way his dad was acting, it terrified him. It reminded Kailas of the calm before the storm. Something wasn't right.

"I...ah," Kailas shook; shifting his gaze from his own jeans to his dads shirt then settling on the empty scotch glass. Kailas swallowed. He forced himself to look at his dad. "I was out..." he whispered, his voice brittle. He shifted his weight, as his dad seemed to be staring off into space.

Kailas felt like he was talking to a brick wall with glitch security cameras. No response, but as soon as you think your safe you get caught.

Then he moved, and Kailas flinched. He stood, staggering slightly, leaning against the table for support, his face down in frustration as if he couldn't figure out why he could not stand properly.

He looked up and sneered. His flushed face broke into a toothy grin, Kailas immediately took a step back, a small whining sound humming in his throat.

"Your disgusting."

Kailas hit the wall behind him, as if the words had physically hurt him.

"You want to leave this house? Your ungrateful." he staggered forward. "Your just like your mother," Kailas eyes widened, his head shot up to stare at his dad in disbelief.