He Doesn't Care

Bariah’s P.O.V

It was quite dark outside, let me add, fucking freezing. Fuck you Alfie for leaving me there alone. I didn’t have money with me at the time so I couldn’t ride the tube and I ended up having to walk. God dammit. I made it to the flat and unlocked the door to the outside and walked in onto the porch, hurrying to the flat door to feel some warmth.

I opened the door and Carter ran down the steps, “What the hell happened?” I sighed and kicked my vans off, “Alfie got upset because I mentioned Louis.” Carter literally face palmed and groaned, “Bariah, who is it?” I quirked an eyebrow at her, “What do you mean?”

“Alfie or Louis?” Carter stated as a question but like it should’ve been obvious to me, it wasn’t. “We’ve been over this, I don’t like Louis. I hated him for so long; I can’t just like him so soon again.” I muttered and she perked up, “Again?” I sighed, she forgot? The reason I was so upset about him leaving was because I was in love with him.

“You don’t remember?” I asked chuckling and she shook her head, “Then you won’t know.” She gawked at me and I smirked at her as she slumped her shoulders in defeat. “What are you guys talking about?” The voice chirped and I screamed as I turned to face him. “Uhm, practicing for a video.” I uttered a response quickly and Carter shook her head in agreement.

“Yeah, we’re making a skit tomorrow.” Carter lied shamelessly but I could tell she felt bad about it. “Oh, cool. So Bariah, where’ve you been?” Louis asked as he walked into the kitchen. I looked at Carter wide eyed, she didn’t tell him anything? “I was on a date with Alfie but it kind of…. never mind.” I said and Louis turned to me, “I knew he was bad news at that club. Stay away from him.”

My eyes widened, I was not expecting that. “He was just je…” “Bariah just quit talking please.” Louis said with closed as he held the bridge of his nose and he thought. “But what’s wrong with him?” I questioned, pressing him further. “Just shut up, it’s not important!” Louis shouted and I was taken aback by his sudden anger.

“Sorry.” I muttered and he opened his eyes giving me an apologetic, “No, I’m sorry I shouldn’t have yelled at you.” I nodded to him and Carter spoke up, “So uhm, what’s going on for tonight?” Louis perked up and he said, “I forgot, I’m supposed to get pizza with Harry tonight…”

Louis put his hand on his forehead and sighed before Carter spoke up, “I’ll tell him to come over and he’ll bring pizza with him.” “Thank god, food!” I exclaimed and rubbed my belly, I hadn’t eaten in a few hours and after not eating for a long ass time, I’m starving like a hostage over here!

*

We were sitting in the sitting room, ‘I wonder why’, while we were waiting for harry and the conversation was dull. Carter had asked how our days went and of course, I couldn’t really say much without irritating Louis. I don’t even know why he doesn’t like Alfie; Alfie’s one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met.

I needed to do something to brighten up the mood and suddenly, a light bulb went off in my mind. “Oo, knock knock!” I said sounding a bit too excited, Louis and Carter groaned before looking at each other with an exasperated look. “Come on you guys, knock knock!” I said sitting forward as I crossed my legs.

“I’d rather…” “Carter, knock knock!” I interrupted her stubbornly, a big goofy grin plastered on my face. She sighed heavily and slouched, “Who’s there?”  “Amish…” I said, my grin widening, “Amish who?” “Really? You don’t look like a shoe!” I busted out in laughter and Carter and Louis groaned again before sending each other another knowing look.

*

“Knock Knock…” I said again and Louis huffed, “Who’s there?” “Dime…” “Dime who?” “Dime to tell another knock knock joke!” I exclaimed and then Carter yelled, “Stop! Enough with the knock knock jokes. My God, you are just like Harry!”

There was a knock at the door, cue laughter, and I rushed over to get it but since I guess Harry tells knock knock jokes to I said, “Who’s there?” I heard his raspy laugh as he said, “Latin…” “Latin who?” “Latin me in would be nice!”

I couldn’t help but laugh manically as I opened the door for him, “Finally, someone who appreciates my knock knock jokes!” I beamed a smile at him and shut the door as he carried the pizza into the room.

“Carter what’d you tell Harry to get on the pizza? I know you don’t like what I do, miss ‘I think pigs are too adorable to eat them’.” I sassed and she opened her mouth to speak, “Those creatures should not be murdered for food; they’re just so…so cute!”

“I feel your pain Bariah, I get my own pizza because she doesn’t like ham or bacon, hell she hardly even eats pepperoni.” Harry said setting the pizzas down on the mahogany coffee table. Harry opened the top pizza box and I gasped, “No way! You like pepperoni, ham and bacon too!”

Harry quirked an eyebrow at me, “Of course! It’s amazing!” “I’m definitely taking some of this, I haven’t had it in months!” I exclaimed and stole a piece and Harry pouted at me. “Hey!” He whined and I just bit off the tip of the pizza slice. I stuck my tongue out at him before sitting down next to Louis and munching on the delicious food.

*

Harry and I were almost dying with laughter as we traded knock knock jokes back and forth. “God damn, you’d think you guys were siblings.”  Carter groaned and stood up from her seat on the couch. “Now I know where I get the looks from…” I joked winking at Carter and she chuckled as she walked into the kitchen before Louis stood up too.

“Where are you going Lou?” Harry asked sitting forward and propping his elbows up on his knees. “I need to have a meeting with Eleanor…” Louis muttered with distaste and I frowned, ‘oh, okay then…’

“I’ll be back tomorrow morning.” Louis said and I couldn’t even smile at that, the frown was etched on my face. I just nodded and waited for him to leave and I threw a pillow against the wall. “Bariah…” Harry said placing a hand on my shoulder, “It’s okay.”

“How the hell is this okay? That bitch is the reason I fucking…” I practically growled as I stood up and started pacing back and forth in the sitting room. “Bariah, what are you talking about?” Harry asks and Carter rushes into the room, “You didn’t, did you?”

I just shook my head and put my hands on my head taking deep breaths. “Why didn’t you tell me! I thought you quit!” Carter said and embraced me to stop me from moving around. I flinched from the contact on the injured area, which I had just earlier when I fell on Alfie,  and she whispered, “Sorry.”

I sighed deeply and she then said, “Does Louis know?” I scoffed, “He wouldn’t care, obviously he knows what all of this shit did to me, and he goes to talk to the person who caused it all, Yeah. No. He doesn’t care.”

Harry was completely oblivious to what was going on and he was just staring at his girlfriend and his new friend. “How could you say that B? Do you remember what he did for you a few years ago?” Carter said and tears were forming in her eyes as she recalled the awful things that happened. “How could I forget?” I mumbled and looked down before I shook myself from her grasp.

“I promise, I won’t do it again.” I said and she lifts up her hand, “Pinky promise.” This is something Louis had always made me do when we were younger, Carter adapted that too.  Louis said that our promises would never be broken  if we did it his way, but he lied to me. He fucking lied.

I clasped her pinky in mine and we put our fists against one another, bringing our thumbs together to form a heart. I kissed her pinky and she kissed mine. “Alright, I believe you.” She says a small smile creeping upon her lips.

All I can think is, ‘If a promise is broken, was it ever a promise in the first place?’