Chapter Twelve

“I have discovered a very serious problem with being a werewolf and running a bakery.” Dawn said with a defeated sigh as she slumped down on a stool in her bakery kitchen three days later.

This was the first day that Grange had allowed her to come into town. He had wanted to give her time to adjust to being a wolf before bringing her around all the new scents that town would offer.

Dawn was honest enough to admit that at first town had been a sensory overload but truly she hadn’t felt as if she was going to lose control. Grange had let her know that most newly changed wolves struggled when changed and that sometimes innocent people paid the price for their missteps so Dawn understood his hesitation but had finally convinced him that she was not worried about losing control herself.

Trig and Nickolai had helped, both saying that she was handling the change much better than any other werewolf they had seen. She knew that Grange loved her and just worried about harm coming to her if anyone discovered what she now was and so she hadn’t been angry at Grange for his own hesitation.

“What problem is that?” Trig asked around a mouth full of freshly baked cookies. She and he were alone in the bakery. Nickolai had gone on patrol and Grange was at the sawmill cutting up firewood for the townsfolk who had been complaining that they were running low.

“Between you and I, we are eating more than we’re baking!”

“Is that apple crisp I smell?” Trig asked with a hopeful smile and Dawn nodded.

“Yes but it’s not yours. It’s for a customers order.” Trig stuck his tongue out at her and then grabbed another handful of cookies. At the rate they were both eating Dawn would be completely out of inventory by the end of the day, or quite possibly by lunch.

“You are an evil alpha.” Trig grumbled with a smile. Dawn was about to reply when the bell on the door chimed and she quickly walked out into the sale room to find Henry peering through the glass display cases.

“Good morning, Henry.” she said brightly. “How are you?” The old man smiled as he stood up straight and placed his hands on his low back.

“It gets harder and harder to move everyday.” he stated with a wince. “I’m craving some of them there chocolate cocoa cookies you make.” he added as he pointed at the cookies under the glass. Dawn smiled warmly.

“Of course.” she replied, knowing they were his favorite. She cut a square of brown paper off the roll and selected six cookies from under the glass. She carefully placed them on the paper and then wrapped them up before tying them with white twine.

“I sure did miss having my cookies the last few days.” Henry stated as he rummaged through his pockets for money. Dawn nodded.

“I missed baking them for you.” she replied.

“Are you feeling better after your sick spell? I wish you would let the doctor look at you. Though I must say that you don’t look like you’ve been sick.” Dawn tipped her head.

“Thank you. Actually I’m feeling much better. Grange took very good care of me while I was ill.”

“You’ve been staying there with him… Now I know it ain’t none of my business and, darling, trust me when I tell you that I’m not judging you none because I like you and Grange both real good, but other folks ‘round here aren’t so open minded. There’s some that are starting to wonder what an unmarried woman is doing out there living alone with a man.”

Dawn just smiled and took the money from his hand before placing it safely away in the cash register.

“It’s sweet that you worry, Henry, but I know what I’m doing.” she replied. Henry just nodded and picked up his package of cookies.