Chapter Eleven

“Grange, I believe those clothes are swallowing that woman whole.” Nickolai stated with amusement. Grange chuckled as he looked at Dawn. The sleeves of the black tunic he had given her to wear only came to his elbows when he wore it but they hung down to her wrists. The shirt itself hung nearly to her knees and while Grange had folded the legs of the buckskin pants a good ten times and still they were too long for her petite legs.

“I like them.” Dawn replied honestly as she buried her nose against the shoulder of her shirt. “It smells like Grange.”

“That’s just because he never does laundry.” Trig replied with a grin. Dawn wrinkled her nose as she smelled something so sickeningly sweet that it made her stomach turn.

“What is that smell?” she gasped. “I smelled it earlier but didn’t know what it was then either.”

“Sickly sweet?” Grange asked as he stood behind her with his arms wrapped tight around her waist.

“Yes.” Dawn replied, snuggling deeper into his chest. Grange kissed her hair and Dawn was sure she saw a flash of pain pass over Nickolai’s face as he watched them and then he turned away.

“I will go clean up any mess that was left before someone else finds it.” he stated and then he took off at a fast clip into the woods.

“Trig, why don’t you go inside and get rid of that dress Dawn was wearing. I’m sure that’s what she’s smelling.” Grange said and Trig nodded and went into the cabin.

“Is the vampire what I’m smelling?” Dawn asked and Grange nodded.

“They stink. Sickly sweet.”

“All of them smell like that?”

“Yes. They each have individual scents as well but if you smell sickly sweet it usually means there is a vampire around.” Grange released his hold on her and kissed her hair.

“Where are you going?” she asked as he started to walk away.

“The barn. I have to feed the animals.” Dawn felt an overwhelming sense of panic and sadness fill her at the thought of being apart from Grange for even a moment. She couldn’t explain it but she suddenly found her legs running to catch up with him and her arm snaked through his and clung tightly to him.

“What are you doing?” he asked with amusement as he raised his brow and looked down at her. Dawn blushed and pulled her arm away, though she didn’t leave his side.

“I don’t want to be apart from you.”

“Now do you see how hard those two days were on me when you needed space?”

“You felt that the whole time?” Dawn whispered with shock and Grange nodded.

“I have been feeling that every second that you and I haven’t been together since I met you.”

“How on earth do you deal with it?” Grange smiled and kissed her hair.

“You will get better at ignoring and dealing with the wolf’s emotions, though they will always be there.” he assured her. Dawn had her doubts but for now she would just take his word for it. He had a lot more experience than she did when it came to being a werewolf.

Dawn helped Grange feed the horses and few cows that he had, taking in all the new scents that she had never before noticed. As they left the barn a breeze kicked up and Dawn’s mouth began to water and her stomach rumbled when the scent of baking ham reached her nose.

“Who’s cooking ham?” She asked, blushing when she realized there was drool on her lip. She quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand as Trig came out of the cabin.