Chapter Five

“Grange!” Grange stiffened when he heard Trig’s voice. He had smelled the pup but had hoped he’d have the sense to leave him alone. Clearly Grange had been wrong.

“What?” Grange growled as he turned from the lake and looked at the other man. Grange had been here since leaving Dawn several hours ago. He had been thinking about life. About the added responsibilities his life would hold if he took a mate and started a pack. Things would be forever changed and it wouldn’t necessarily be for the best.

“Wow you seem grumpier than normal. I take it that she didn’t take learning what you are well?”

“She took it better than I thought she would.” Grange replied with a shrug as he looked back out at the water. “At least she did not call me a monster and run screaming to gather up the townsfolk and pitchforks.”

“A joke? From you?” Trig tilted his head and grinned. “I’m proud.”

“Why did you follow me out here?” Grange asked and Trig suddenly became more serious which instantly put Grange on high alert. He could smell the uneasiness rolling off the pup.

“I didn’t go straight back to town, instead I went for a run after I left you last night and on the other side of town, about a mile out, I smelled a wolf.”

Instinctively Grange took a deep breath, taking in all the scents of the forest but the only wolves he smelled were himself and Trig.

“Are you sure?” he asked and Trig nodded.

“Yes I’m sure. I couldn’t track it and that confuses me but I’m sure it was a wolf. A male.” Grange sighed. Another wolf sniffing around his territory was the last thing he needed right now.

“You didn’t recognize the scent did you?” he asked Trig and the pup shook his head.

“No. I know you’re worried about my past following me but they never did try to catch me. I wasn’t exactly a top priority. Besides that was the New England pack. They wouldn’t come all this way just to find me.” Then Trig frowned. “What about your past?”

“I left there thirty years ago. I’ve seen none of them since.”

“The alpha that turned you?” Trig asked.

“Dead.” Grange replied without looking at him. “That was a southern pack, I don’t see them coming out here, thirty years later, to get their revenge.”

“I guess you’re right.” Trig admitted. “Besides this wolf smelled more like a loner. I think it’s rather neat that all us lone wolves are being drawn together because of you. Because of the alpha in you. If you change your mind about the whole pack thing, I’d be happy to be your beta.”

Grange let out a bark of laughter and ran his hand through his thick black hair.

“All the other packs would fear and respect us for sure then.” he mumbled.

“I’m tougher than I look.” Trig stated defensively.

“Go patrol.” Grange ordered. “See if you smell the scent anywhere else.” Trig nodded.

“Yes, sir.” Before Grange could tell him not to call him sir, Trig was shifting and loping off into the woods.

Grange looked out over the water and crossed his arms loosely over his broad chest.

Ready or not, it looked like the change he had always dreaded was coming his way.

***

“What happened to your head?” Gladys Bishop, the sheriff’s wife, exclaimed as she came bursting into Dawn’s bakery that afternoon. “I talked to Missy, who talked to Allie, who heard from Gina that you were at the docs this morning with a lump on your head!”