Chapter Twenty-One

“I will go with Farrah to the sheriff’s office to speak with him.” Grange said matter of factly as the group made their way to town, by horses and also cart because there were now more pack members than Grange had horses used to werecreature scent. The horses weren’t completely sold on Farrah but hadn’t panicked so for that Grange was thankful.

“I can take her.” Trig cut in quickly and Grange shook his head.

“You are too protective of her, naturally since she is your mate, and if the sheriff asks a question you don’t like you are likely to snap at him and that would not help anything. I am the alpha, this is a pack safety issue and so I’ll go with her.” Trig wanted to argue further but it was clear that Grange was not going to back down and he did not want to upset the alpha.

“I have a lot of work to get done at the bakery. Nickolai, can I count on you to help deliver the bread today?” Dawn asked.

“Of course.” Nickolai replied. “My Brie was always a fair baker. I’m sure she would be happy to help you in the bakery.”

“Really?!” Dawn exclaimed happily. “I would be happy for the help!” Brie looked uncertain.

“It has been a long time since I have cooked anything…” she admitted and Dawn just waved her hand.

“Then you can keep me company until you get the hang of it again.”

“I am not much of a cook.” Farrah replied absently. “But I did burn down a bakery once.” Dawn looked at her with a bit of shocked fear.

“She doesn’t come near the building.”

“Farrah can help me at the sawmill when we get done talking to the sheriff. I think she would probably like chopping wood.” Grange said and he grinned at Dawn’s expression.

“I chopped wood for the Master.” Farrah replied with a nod. “It is good for the arms.”

“I’ll chop wood too.” Trig said, though honestly that sounded like torture but he wanted to seem tough in front of Farrah. Grange reached out and touched Trig’s chest where the worst of his wounds was still fairly bad and then he poked his shoulder and Trig whimpered.

“No you won’t.” Grange countered. You can take the cart and deliver lumber if you must have something to do.” Trig slumped down in his saddle.

“Fine.” he pouted.

As the group rode into town and hitched their horses behind the bakery, Grange motioned for Trig to take the cart to the sawmill and then he looked at everyone else.

“Farrah, we better get to the sheriff’s office and let him ask whatever it is he’s going to ask.” Farrah nodded, Grange kissed Dawn softly and then led Farrah down the road.

“Now look, it’s very important that you act as normal as possible.” Grange warned her and then he rolled his eyes when she put her head back and scented the air deeply. “Doing that is probably not the best thing to do.” he muttered and Farrah quickly lowered her head.

“Sorry, it’s a habit.” she said quickly. Grange nodded.

“Nothing happened yesterday.” he informed her. “There was no attack by the miners. No one was killed and no one fought anyone. You haven’t seen those men since you escaped them a couple of days ago.”

“I’m not stupid.” Farrah complained and Grange simply raised his brow and said nothing.

They made their way to the center of town and stepped up on the boardwalk in front of the sheriffs office. Grange gave one last nervous look at Farrah, who simply smiled in return, and then he opened the door.