Chapter 20

Septi was sitting in her car in the LA Mall parking lot crying. She had managed to maintain her control through the phone call to Ferinequell asking for reinforcements, but that had been five minutes ago or so.

   She wasn’t happy about what was going to happen, and she was a nervous wreck about it. The orders she had put in place earlier had been easier before these people had faces and voices. They were meant defensively, to leave no room for betrayal by any who knew about them.

   “Am I becoming like Steppe?” she wondered aloud, dabbing at the tears with her tissue. “Or am I already like him and don’t know it?”

   When Steppe sent me on assignments, I couldn’t ever look at the person’s face. I still hear the screams of some of them at night. I can’t forget what I’ve seen and done, but I’d hoped I wouldn’t have to do this again, she looked at her scarred hands, knowing that most of the scars were from fights or practice mishaps. I hate this life. I want to change, but this is my destiny, and I can’t be anything but what I am. Septi dried her eyes and looked at her duffel bag, which was filled with her uniforms and weapons.

   “Alright, Septi, get back to work,” she said, feeling kind of weak. “You have no choice. Be strong and do your job.” With that she began sifting through the duffel bag, leaving her weapons in her glove box.

   Two hours later, she was changed and waiting at the rendezvous point for the others. Ferinequell had said that he’d organize a team to come out and do the deed, but Septi had no clue who would be on the team, or how many people would be coming.

   Finally one of the VI4C’s cars pulled into the parking lot of the gas station Septi was waiting in, and Septi got out of her car. Val and Mes were in the other car, and Val rolled down her window.

   “What’s up?” Mes asked cheerfully, her dark skin shining in the light of the setting sun. Beneath her cheery and happy exterior, though, Septi saw that Mes was nervous, maybe a little upset.

   “How much did Ferinequell tell you?” Septi asked, speaking quickly and quietly.

   “Just that they both refused to join, and needed to be silenced,” Val answered, her voice low. Septi casually leaned against the car, her arms resting on the door.

   “Alright,” Septi said, leaning into one of the pockets on her belt and pulling out two pieces of paper. Carefully she unfolded the one paper, revealing a street map of the area. “You’ll want to go from here, down this road, and park in the alley here.” Val nodded and took a highlighter from its spot in the ash tray, highlighting the route Septi had pointed out, and then she handed the map and highlighter to Mes.

   “Got the floor plan?” Val asked. “And a picture or description of the girl?”

   “I have both,” Septi said, unfolding the second paper and catching a wallet sized picture that fell loose. “This is from her school yearbook from last year. The local library had a copy of it. And this is the floor plan for the house. She’s living with her friend’s family, and I’m not sure how they have the sleeping arrangements worked out.”

   “This will work well enough,” Val said, taking the picture and the floor plan. “What time do you think we should strike?”

   “We need to be sure they’re asleep, so after midnight or later,” Septi said. “I didn’t get a close look, but if I were to guess they only have master locks on the door.” Both Septi and Val ignored the bored Mes, who was doodling on her arm with highlighter.

   “I see,” Val said, leaning back in her seat.

   “You don’t happen to have a sharpie, do you?” Mes asked, eyeing her barely colored skin critically.