Chapter 11

Another week had come and gone, and December was fast approaching. The hideout now showed no stains, and there were no apparent marks that might give away that a fight had occurred there.

   For the occupants of the hideout, the quickly approaching holidays were either a source of relief or a source of anger, sorrow, and tension. Several minor arguments had broken out, with about half of them involving Chaos, whose displeasure with the VI4C had been growing since the fight.

   Septi found herself attempting to smooth ruffled feathers, and finally offered to take Mes and Raram to the mall, simply to get out, and get them out, of the hideout. The enthusiasm this suggestion was met with surprised her, but she did as she had said.

   The car ride up was a bit strained, and the radio clumsily covered the awkward silence. It was a relief when they got to the mall and split up, Mes and Raram going one way, Septi going another. Septi was wondering in the vague direction of Hot Topic when someone called her name.

   "Renee Carl? Is that really you?"

   "Nito?" She asked, turning to see him jogging up to her. "Hey, how are you?"

   "I’m great," he said, hugging her awkwardly for a couple of seconds. "How about you?"

   "I’m doing… okay," she said, tilting her head and taking a good look at him. "I’ve been busy."

   "Really now?" he asked, smiling slightly. "Did it have something to do with that mystery job of yours?"

   "Yeah, it did, actually," Septi smiled back easily.

   "Hey, d’you want to get a coffee or something?" he asked, shifting his weight slightly.

   "Well, I don’t drink coffee-"

   "Oh, that’s right. I think you told me that before."

   "Yeah. Well, I’d like to, other than that minor detail." He laughed at that.

   "Do you like pretzels?"

   "Yeah," she answered, a little surprised.

   "Aunty Annie’s is just around the corner, so why don’t we go get something from there, and then sit down.

   "Sounds good to me." They walked over, ordered, and sat down on one of the multiple benches that were scattered around the mall.

   "So, you’ve been so busy with that job of yours that you couldn’t see anyone in the outside world?" Nito asked, watching Septi as she tore a piece of her pretzel off.

   "Yeah," she said, glancing up at him and catching his eye. "That pretty much sums it up."

   "Oh, good," he said. "So you weren’t just avoiding me."

   "Nah," Septi said, brushing her hair back with the hand that had not touched the pretzel. "I was a little tied up for quite a while."

   "Really now?" he asked again, his voice soft. Septi smiled slightly and lowered her gaze. Nito leaned in and placed a hand on her knee, and Septi glanced up at him, startled. "I hope this won’t affect our relationship, and that we can pick up where we left off." Septi blinked, her mind going numb.

   "Um-" was all she could manage, and he smiled slightly and leaned back, removing his hand from her knee.

   "Just think about it, okay?" she nodded, and he glanced at his watch. "Holy cow, I need to go, ‘kay? I’ll see you later." He took his leave, and Septi sat there for a couple of seconds, watching him go before realizing that she was smashing her pretzel. Just then Raram and Mes slipped up behind her.