Chapter 19

Septi collapsed into her bed, as exhausted emotionally as she was physically. She’d been working on keeping up in her schoolwork earlier that evening, after a vigorous training session with Gin, Kin, and Kane in addition to a personal workout.

   Two weeks had passed since the Saha family had joined the VI4C, and most of Septi’s time outside of school had been devoted to helping them mesh with the other members. It had been a very long and rough two weeks, but at least it wore her out enough that she didn’t have time to think about Nito, nor did she dream. Septi welcomed this thoughtlessness, knowing that if it hadn’t come she’d be too busy crying to think straight.

   As for the Saha family, they seemed happy enough, but the oldest brother was getting on Septi’s nerves. She wasn’t sure what it was about him, but he set her teeth on edge. He turned out to have good reflexes, but a very low endurance level, which meant that they couldn’t practice his fighting styles as long as Septi wanted to.

   I’m sure he thinks I’m inhumane, Septi reflected, pulling the blankets up to her chin. But I just don’t know why he doesn’t understand that you have to push yourself to get better. Tiredly she relaxed on her bed, waiting for sleep to claim her. However, it didn’t, so she rolled over and tried to sleep that way. Still sleep escaped her.

   Slipping out of bed and feeling irritable she made her way down to the living room, where she sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. Septi sat there in silence, flipping through the channels, feeling lonely and restless. She had just settled for the news channel when someone turned the lights on.

   “I thought I heard someone down here,” the oldest Saha’s voice came over to her, and she turned around to look at him, reluctantly. “Couldn’t sleep either?”

   “No,” she said, returning her gaze to the screen. He came around and sat down on the other side of the couch.

   “Why couldn’t you?” he asked conversationally. Septi shot him a startled glance before switching back into defensive mode.

   “I don’t know,” she said, looking away from him. “I just couldn’t.”

   “I see,” Gin said, studying her curiously. Septi realized that he was expecting her to continue the conversation.

   “You?” she asked grudgingly.

   “Thinking about home,” Gin said, not looking at her. The newscaster made a comment about CAMM, and his jaw muscles tensed. “They deserve to die.” Septi said nothing, letting him rant it out. “All of those murderers. They don’t give a d*** about us, don’t want to learn about us. We’re not people to them, so it’s okay if they kill us, ’cause no one will mourn us.”

   “That’s not true,” Septi whispered, but Gin didn’t seem to hear her.

   “They’re butchers, and they’ll keep killing innocents until they kill all of us,” he continued, his eyes wet but tears never sliding down his cheeks. Septi felt a pang of sympathy, and moved to sit beside him. 

   “That’s why we exist,” Septi said, keeping her voice low. “We give people like us the tools and resources to survive.”

   “I’m going to kill them,” he hissed. Septi gently placed her hand on his arm. A dozen sarcastic and cruel comments were forming in her head, but she didn’t say a word. “I’m going to make them pay for what they did to my family- blood for blood.”

   “The VI4C can help you,” Septi said, knowing that he was grieving for his parents. He looked up at her, his face a mixture of emotions- sorrow, rage, and a silent strength.