Chapter 9

"It’s finally clean," Raram said with a slight sigh. "All of the walls have been scrubbed down, and are now free of the blood. The guys are replacing the carpeting, Septi, and your office is being aired out and sanitized. What’s next?"

   "I go through Steppe’s paper work," Septi said grimly, feeling very tired. "See what’s there, complete it, file it- all that fun stuff."

   "I never asked," Mes said suddenly. "What’s being done about the wounded?"

   "Ferinequell bribed a normal doctor to help us. This guy already was pro-mutant, but was terrified of helping us," Septi said.

   "Okay," Mes said, tilting her head slightly. An uncomfortable silence fell, and Septi broke it with yet another sigh.

   "I need to go," she said abruptly. "I have work to be doing elsewhere." She turned to go.

   "Alright. See you later, Septi," Raram said. Septi smiled sadly and nodded to show that she had heard. As she rounded the corner, she heard Mes chattering relentlessly about Lord of the Rings, and Raram responding, just as happily. Their laughter floated through the air to Septi, who suddenly felt much older than they and more alone than before.

   Don’t be stupid, she thought viciously. You’re no more or less alone than you were before. Things have changed, and your friends may or may not know who you are anymore. It’s to be expected. I mean, you don’t even know who you are now.

   "Septi," a voice started her out of her thoughts, and she stared up to see Ferinequell staring at her. "We need to go through the paperwork quickly in case there are any papers of time sensitive and important nature. The office has been cleared out, so we’ll need to get new furniture for it." Then he noticed that she was looking preoccupied, and switched to a kindly, brotherly tone. "Septi, what’s wrong?"

   "I’m just trying to do a self-evaluation," she said, looking up at him, but not meeting his eyes. "I kind of feel like I’ve changed so much that I don’t know who I am anymore."

   "Ah," he said, understandingly. "Septi, let me tell you, you’re more than your likes and dislikes, and you won’t find who you are in the people you surround yourself with." She nodded absent mindedly, still lost in thought.

   "I suppose," she said, quietly. Then she shook her head. "Alright, you said that there is paperwork?" she said, her tone business-like.

   "Yes," Ferinequell said, his tone matching hers. "I have a feeling that there may be a lot, perhaps up to a decade’s worth. Steppe’s record keeping was far from perfect, so there may not be as many records as there ought to be."

   "Oui, that’s very true," Septi said quietly. "And while I have the deputy’s records for the last five years, anything before that is lost." She started walking towards the office again, and Ferinequell followed her, glancing out the window that he passed.

   "It’s a lovely evening out there," he said, glancing at Septi’s pale, almost grayish, complexion. "You certainly could use some sun." Septi’s lips twitched slightly at that comment.

   "Perhaps, but this paperwork won’t do itself."

   "What say we do it outside? On the back patio? That way you can get a little bit of sun, and it gets done."

   "Alright," Septi said, opening the office door and walking over to the filing cabinet, the only remaining piece of furniture in the room. She pulled out the drawer with the last years records, while Ferinequell carefully searched through the bow with the stuff from the desk drawers. Then when they were satisfied that they had all of the records necessary, then headed out of doors.