Chapter 21

21 chapters... Huh. I'm rather impressed with myself. I think I deserve a round of applause. I think I also deserve comments.

So please comment!!

________________________________________

"Lauren? Jaime?" I called as I opened the door of the apartment.

"In the kitchen." came Jaime's voice. She sounded extremely disgruntled.

I walked down the hallway and into the kitchen. "Oh my god." I said, gaping.

Lauren, Jaime and Darren were in the middle of the kitchen armed with mops, brushes and cloths. The floor and walls were completely covered with bits of banana, and banana skins littered the floor.

"I know." Jaime said, glaring at Darren and Lauren, who ducked their heads in shame.

"Did you use every single banana?" I asked, looking around.

"No. Not all of them." Lauren muttered sulkily, pointing at the worktop. A single banana lay on its side, looking incredibly lonely.

"You killed his family. My poor baby boy." I said, pouting as I picked up the last banana and cradled it to my chest.

"How do you know it's a boy?" Lauren asked, frowning.

Darren raised his eyebrows. "Look at the shape of it. It's definitely a boy." he stated firmly.

I laughed and put it back on the table. "Do you guys need help cleaning up?" I asked, looking around at the mess.

"Nope." Jaime said, walking calmly over to the door. "Lauren and Darren will clean it all up."

Lauren and Darren both whirled around and stared at Jaime in horror. "What?!" they squeaked simultaneously.

"Your mess." Jaime shrugged.

I laughed at the looks on Darren and Lauren's faces.

"Well, what are you two going to do?" Darren asked, outraged.

Jaime thought for a moment. "Want to go out?" she asked me.

I grinned at her. "Sure. Where to?"

"There's a bar down the street. I'll call the other guys, see if they're free to come too." she said, pulling her phone out of her pocket and walking out to the living room.

"I want to go too." Lauren said in a small voice.

"Me too." Darren said pitifully, pushing out his bottom lip.

I laughed again. "Aww. I'm going to feel really bad about leaving you here to clean up the mess you made by throwing a shitload of bananas around the place..."

Lauren frowned. "When you put it that way it makes it sound as though you think it was OUR fault."

I blinked at her. "Who's fault do you think it was?" I asked sceptically.

"Your son started it!" she yelled, pointing accusingly at the last banana on the worktop.

"You leave my baby out of this!" I yelled in outrage, grabbing the banana and holding it close.

Darren raised his eyebrows. "Lo, I think Ali's maternal instincts are kicking in. We should probably start backing away.."

I laughed as Darren held his hands over his head and began walking backwards. Lauren grinned and said "Okay, fine. If we clean it up quickly we can come with you guys, right?"

"Sure. Why not?" I said cheerfully.

Lauren beamed and grabbed a mop. I laughed as she began to attack the banana smeared floor with the mop and Darren grabbed a cloth and began to get to work on the walls.

I shook my head and went to find Jaime. She was sitting on the arm of the couch, talking on the phone.

"-half an hour? Okay. See you then." she was saying, before she hung up and turned to face me.

"Who was that?" I asked, sprawling back on the armchair opposite her.

"Joe. He's gonna meet us at the bar." Jaime said, stuffing her phone back in her pocket.

"Just Joe?" I asked.

"No. Moses, Holden, Julia, Meredith, Joey, Matt, Nick, Dylan, Denise, Bonnie and Jim are coming too." she said, standing up and stretching her arms over her head.

I stared at her. "Did you invite everyone you know?" I asked, eyes wide. "I think I only know half of those people."

She laughed. "Not even close. But Moses was gonna be there anyway. He works in the bar." she explained. "Wanna go get ready?"

"Sure." I said, standing up and following her to her room.

She began pulling clothes out of her drawers. "What should I wear?" she mumbled to herself.

I said nothing for a long moment. "Do you think Joey still has feelings for Ashley?" I blurted suddenly.

Jaime froze in the act of yanking a purple dress out from beneath a small mountain of clothes. She turned slowly to look at me. "What?"

I blushed slightly. "Do you think Joey still likes Ashley?" I repeated, looking at the floor.

Jaime was silent for a moment before replying. "I don't... Why are you asking?"

"Because we saw her at the supermarket earlier.. She invited Joey to a party.. He wanted to go." I looked up from my feet to see her reaction.

She sighed. "Joey is.. He gets attached. It's difficult for him to.. Let go. But he really likes you, Ali. Anyone can tell by the way he looks at you. I can guarantee he never looked at Ashley that way. He just needs time."

I nodded. Jaime's speech made me feel a lot better. "Yeah. Okay." I said quietly.

She smiled at me. "Come on. We'll get you looking gorgeous!" she said, jumping to her feet excitedly.

"Please." I snorted. "Have you seen this face?" I pulled an over exaggerated pouting expression (I was basically mimicking Ashley).

Jaime laughed. "Okay, Ali. Whatever you say." and with that she dragged me to the bathroom and began to get me "looking gorgeous".