Chapter 11

"Ugh, I hate her!" Lauren groaned as we walked towards the door of the mall, with Meredith casually peering into shop windows as we passed. I frowned slightly and said "She didn't seem too bad.."

Lauren stopped dead and stared at me, as if I had just admitted my favourite food was barbecued football boots. "She is the queen bitch. I can guarantee it. She's the most possessive bitch ever. She's just a bitch. Do you hear me? Bitch. I hate her more than the holocaust!!" she said furiously. I had to bite my lip to hold in my laughter.

Suddenly, Meredith squealed. "Look at THOSE!!" she was pointing in a shop window, at a pair of fluorescent pink high heels. Lauren gasped and ran up to the window, her breath fogging up the glass as she stared in at the shoes. Meredith ran up next to her and gaped at them too, when they suddenly turned to each other and yelled at the same time "MINE!!!"

I watched in amusement as Meredith and Lauren elbowed and pushed each other as they fought to get into the shop and to the shoes first. I followed them into the shop, casually eyeing shoes as I strolled after Lauren and Meredith. I grinned at the girl behind the counter as she stared, completely bewildered, as they started yelling over each other, arguing over who got the pair of shoes. I sighed slightly, walking over to the girl and smiling. "How many pair of those pink shoes do you have?" I asked her, motioning to the high heels that Lauren and Meredith were holding between them as they argued.

The girl, whose name tag said her name was Claire, said "Oh, I'll check now!". It was clear that she was eager to get us to leave. She tapped a few keys on her little computer/cash register thing, and then lifted her head and said "We have seven pairs left.."

I smiled in thanks and turned to face Lauren and Meredith, who were now playing tug-of-war with a single pink shoe. "GUYS!" I yelled. They shut up abruptly and their heads twisted around to look at me. "There's more than one pair in stock!"

They stared at me and then leaned around me to look at the girl behind the counter, who nodded in confirmation. A deep red blush began to bloom on both of their faces as they walked up to the counter. I grinned and walked around to look at more shoes as Lauren and Meredith paid for a pair of shoes each. I picked up a pair of black high heels. They were made of a soft black felt material and had a super pretty blue bow near the toe. I pursed my lips and decided to try them on.

I had just slipped them on and had stood up when Lauren came rushing over, waving her shopping bag around excitedly. Meredith came up behind her and smiled at me. "Those are nice." she told me, smiling at the shoes.

"Thanks." I said, looking down at my feet.

"They make your legs look good." Lauren said, nodding appreciatively. I grinned at her. "Should I get them?" I asked uncertainly.

Lauren and Meredith both nodded, and I laughed. I brought them up to the counter and paid for them. Minutes later, we were heading out of the mall and into the car park.

"Meredith, can I borrow your eyeliner?" Lauren's voice called from the bathroom. The three of us were at the apartment that Lauren shared with Jaime , getting ready to go to the play.

As Meredith threw the eyeliner at Lauren, I slipped on my new shoes. I stood up and eyed myself critically in the full-length mirror in Lauren's bedroom. I was wearing my skinny black jeans and floaty blue dress-top, and my hair was hanging in loose curls down to my waist.

A wolf whistle came from behind me, and I turned to see Lauren grinning in the doorway.

"Do I look okay?" I asked, grinning uncertainly in return. Lauren rolled her eyes. "You look gorgeous." she told me "Richter's eyes are gonna pop out of his head.". I laughed at her.