Acceptance Of Repentance

Bismillah hir rahmanir raheem

Assalamualaikum my wonderful brothers and sisters! How are you all? Hope you're doing well inshallah!

Allhamduillah my week went great! How about urs?

Jummah Mubarak!

Acceptance of repentance

I have committed a great sin and I prayed to Allaah and asked Him to forgive me. Will my repentance from that sin be accepted? I feel that my repentance has not been accepted and that Allaah is angry with me. Are there any indications that repentance has been accepted?

Firstly: Making mistakes and falling short are undoubtedly part of human nature and no one will be free of shortcomings in his obedience to Allah SWT, or free of mistakes or forgetfulness or sins. All of us fall short, commit sins, and make mistakes. Sometimes we turn to Allah SWT and sometimes we turn away from Him. Sometimes we remember that Allah SWT is watching and sometimes we become negligent. None of us is free of sin, and we will inevitably make mistakes. We are not infallible. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, if you did not commit sin Allah SWT would do away with you and bring people who would commit sin then pray for forgiveness.” Narrated by Muslim, 2749. And he (peace and blessings of Allah SWT be upon him) said: “Every son of Adam sins, and the best of those who sin are those who repent.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2499; classed as hasan by al-Albaani. 

By His mercy towards weak man, Allah SWT has opened the gate of repentance to him, and has commanded him to turn to Him, every time sin overwhelms him. Were it not for that, man would suffer a great deal of hardship and would not have the drive to draw closer to his Lord; he would lose all hope of His forgiveness and pardon. Repentance is something that is necessary as a result of man’s shortcomings and human failings. 

Allah SWT has enjoined repentance on all kinds of people in this ummah: those who are foremost in good deeds, those who follow a middle course, and those who wrong their own selves by doing haraam things (cf. Faatir 35:32). 

Allah SWT says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“And all of you beg Allah SWT to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31] 

“O you who believe! Turn to AllaH SWT with sincere repentance!”

[al-Tahreem 66:8] 

And the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah SWT be upon him) said: “O people, repent to Allah SWT and seek His forgiveness, for I repent one hundred times a day.” Narrated by Muslim, 2702 from the hadeeth of al-Agharr al-Muzani (may Allah SWT be pleased with him). 

Allah SWT has bestowed His mercy and encompassed His slaves with his kindness. He is Forbearing and does not punish us or destroy us straightaway, rather He gives us respite, and He commanded His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah SWT be upon him) to proclaim His generosity: 

“Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah SWT, verily, Allah SWT forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Zumar 39:53 – interpretation of the meaning]. 

And He says, out of kindness towards His slaves (interpretation of the meaning):