XXVII

When I woke up the next morning Malakei had gone, leaving no trace that he was even here last night.

I got up and didn't bother to put on some clean clothes as I was already in sweats and a jumper. I dragged my feet out of my tent and outside. Wincing when the morning sun hits me in the face and I bring my hand up to block it. Groaning when I feel a dull pain at the back of my head. My stomach was also hurting, both from lack of food and pain.

I walked to breakfast and slowly walking past the other Dry Landers, I felt their concerned gazes on me before they began whispering to each other. I could barely hear what they were saying due to my ears being muffled and a slight ringing in them. I continued to walk to the breakfast line and wait to be served food. Turning my head and looking away from the sad eyed staff members.

They were down one today. I noticed that there was no bread laid out.

I blinked my tears away and got some scrambled eggs before walking to a lone table, before I could get any further however a hand wrenches me backwards by my wrist and I stumble, turning around slowly and looking up.

It was Raen.

"Gods Keylin.." He whispered as he took in my features. I knew my eyes were swollen and red, most likely with dark circles and my hair was a mess. Raen brought the hand not occupied holding my wrist up and touched my cheek softly. Eyes growing more with concern as he looks at me.

I can't help my lip starting to tremble in that moment and I look away from him as my eyes start to tear up again. He catches a stray tear falling from my eye with his thumb before his hand is sliding down to my shoulder and pulling me into him. His other hand letting go of my wrist to wrap around my upper back.

I'm fully aware of eyes on us and I pull away to roughly wipe the tears from my cheek. Raen turns and glares at any Dry Lander looking at me and I have a feeling when they caught Raen's burning stare they quickly turned around.

"Let's go somewhere private." Raen says turning back to me and swallowing sadly before grabbing my wrist and leading me away from breakfast. I wasn't so hungry anymore and dumped my eggs in a bin as I'm passing by one.

Raen leads me to his tent as it was the nearest to breakfast and pulls me gently inside and over to the couch where he sits down and pulls me down onto his chest, hands going around my waist while I rest my head on his chest, my hands going up to his shoulders.

From the corner of my eye I catch Baja who was stretched out asleep on Raen's bed but when she immediately saw us entering, she didn't waste any time in coming over and making sure I was ok. I assured her through the pounding in my head that I was alright and she hesitantly began to relax again. Coming over and giving my arm a lick before lying down in front of the couch.

"I only heard what happened this morning. I'm so sorry Keylin. If I had known, I would've-"

"W-Where were you?" I sniffled before making my eyes look up at Raen's pained ones.

"Vixen came by to talk to me. She said she was leaving." Raen says and I frown at this. Vixen left yesterday morning, surely she wouldn't have stayed talking for hours with Raen.

"What did you both talk about?" I question in confusion. He quickly brushed it off and brings a hand up to rub my arm. Letting out a sigh.

"It was about my temper but it's not important. She was keeping me from you when you needed me most and I'll never forgive her for that. I'm so sorry." He brings his lips down to place a gentle kiss on my forehead and I let my eyes close at that. Taking a shaky breath, I couldn't help but feel he was avoiding the subject. If he didn't want to tell me that was fine but if he was hiding something from me...no. He loved me. If it was important he would tell me. She was probably just giving him one last rant about manners before she left. Maybe something about a wedding like she had mentioned to me. I frown and look down at Baja.