Chapter 20: Meeting

Karter and I have been in a good place. A really good place. We've gone on plenty mini dates. I've spent a lot of time with his family. I packed a picnic once and we stayed in the park until the sun set and the stars sparkled.

Karter stood with me near my locker as I was switching books. He was glaring across the hall and I knew why. Jared and Maddy were talking.

"Are you going to ban them from talking now too?" I asked him as I put my biology textbook away.

"If it was possible I would," I heard him mumble. I chuckled as I slammed my locker door. I turned to face him. He really did look ready to kill someone.

"Karter," I warned him. He didn't seem to listen. "Just look at their body language. They look like two people in love, not a one night stand."

Karter let out a little grunt not liking the sound of that.

"Okay," I tried again. "Let's sneak up closer. Hear what they're saying. If it sounds like Jared is being a pig than go ahead and keep them apart. But if he isnt than you need to relax a bit."

Spying was a low move, but if Karter could see how much Jared cared for Madeline than maybe he'll give him a chance.

Karter clenched his jaw, his sea green eyes deep in thought. "Fine."

I think he only did this because he wanted to break them apart. It was hard sneaking up on them. Karter was too tall to hide, not that he was trying to. I kept pulling his arm and tugging him so we could hide behind people. The good thing was that Jared and Maddy were too engrossed in each other to notice anyone else.

"I'm not going to ask another girl Maddy," Jared scoffed.

"You can't go to homecoming alone, you're the schools quarterback," she replied.

"I'm loyal to you Maddy, I'm not going to drop you because I can't have you. It doesn't change the way I feel about you," he said honestly. I nudged Karter in his ribs giving him a pointed look. He only rolled his eyes.

Maddy looked like she was going to cry of happiness. I knew I would if a guy talked to me like that.

"Maybe I can ask Karter if he'll let me have at least one dance with you," she said softly. Poor girl. I was going to make sure that one dance happened.

"I can ask him too, I think he would appreciate that," Jared said. I gave Karter another look, he just rolled his eyes in response.

The first bell rang and students began to rush. I grabbed Karter's hand forcing him away from our siblings and towards our class.

"So?" I asked him hopefully.

Karter just grunted.

What was he? A caveman?

"Come on, admit it. He sounds like a good guy. A gentleman even," I tried.

Karter didn't say anything. I took it as good sign. He didn't have anything bad to say.

"You are going to give that poor girl her one dance at least?" I asked.

Karter's eyes widened. He looked like he was going to say no.

"Oh my god Karter! This isn't even about my brother anymore! Don't be such a Hitler to your sister. Give the girl some rights. It's just a dance. She's smart and respects you enough to keep it there. Plus, Jared never forces girls to do anything," I said.

Karter pursed his lips. "I'll think about it."

God he was impossible.

"I don't know if what your brother is saying is true. He could say that to a bunch of girls," Karter said.