Chapter 18: Seek

I felt my insides shatter.

Karter overheard me revealing the deal I made with Jared.

I couldn't feel my legs anymore. Jared's  expression was sad and guilty.

I looked around for him, he was obviously gone. "I-I need to find him."

"I will help you," Jared nodded.

I shook my head. "No, I need to do this one my own."

Jared frowned. "It's my fault Livia, all this is my fault. I'll fix it, I promise. Come on sis."

I realized there was no point in arguing with Jared over this. He needed this. He was a good brother despite his antics.

I followed him outside to his car and I directed him down the path Karter usually takes home or to work. We checked Momo's first, maybe he liked chocolate cake too when he was sad. It was a dead end. We drove to his house. I knocked on his door hoping someone will open. The door suddenly opened and Karter's grandmother stood on the other side.

"Livia my dear," she smiled warmly. "What brings you here? Shouldn't you be at school with Karter? Unless you two were sneaking of..."

I could hear her suspicion and once I matched them to her red cheeks I knew what he was thinking. Two teenagers sneaking off from school to an empty home.

"No!" I squeaked. "I was just looking for him!"

Her eyes seemed calculating as they roamed my face. "You fought didn't you?"

I hesitated, but she knew. She was good. "Yes..."

A frown tugged on her lips. "Oh no. That doesn't do." She made a tsk sound. "This boy is hard to get through to, but if you do he has a beautiful heart."

I knew that! That's why I fell for him!

"Where can he be?" I asked desperately.

She scrunched her eyebrows deep in thought. "Last time he was upset, Maddy found him sitting on a park bench now I—"

I cut her off with a quick hug. "Thank you!"

The older woman was taken by surprise before she hugged me back. "I'm rooting for you."

I smiled widely before running to the park between our homes. I heard Jared call after me but I didn't stop for him. I ran to the large park, my eyes darting from bench to bench looking for Karter. I almost didn't see him. Under a large tree, hidden in the shade sat a tall brooding boy. I ran to him and stopped a few feet back. I was scared. I knew it didn't look good. It wasn't good. This whole thing was horrible. I wanted him to forgive me, but I knew if he didn't than I deserved it.

I messed up. I needed to fix my own mistakes. Woman up Livia!

I walked hesitantly towards Karter. He seemed to sense someone near him since he turned his head in my direction. He suddenly jumped up, his whole body tensed and a dark expression on his face. He turned on his heels ready to walk away.

"Wait Karter, please you need to hear me out," I cried after him.

He quickly whipped back in my direction. "I don't need to listen to anything. I already heard everything I needed to hear."