Chapter 9: Harley

Karter seemed less tense today when I approached him. The irritation was down a notch. However, the whispers and the pointing from the student body were getting worse.

"What do you think some of the rumors are?" I asked him at lunch time.

Karter thought about it for a minute. "Probably something like I'm threatening to kill you if you don't become my friend."

I let out a loud laugh. "Oh, oh, how about I'm one of your sponsors for your drug business... or maybe I'm one of the buyers."

Karter smiled. "Or the government sent you to make sure I stay on track on my missions."

We both laughed at this. I froze for a moment in shock. Not only did Karter smile, but he laughed. He laughed.

"You laughed!" I gasped.

He shrugged his shoulders, suddenly looking defensive. "Yeah... well... don't get used to it."

"Right," I frowned. "It's usually more like 'No Livia! No!'"

I imitated him earning a dark look, but I managed to see the smile he was trying to hide. I did a pretty good Karter impression.

After school, I followed Karter to Harley's school. This time I wasn't 'stalking' him, but I was actually going with him. My parents were freaked out that I was going to his house, but a few lies later and here I was.

I followed him inside the school to a classroom with bumble bees on the door. Karter knocked on the door, earning the teacher and the students attention.

"Karter!" squeeled Harley as she pushed back her chair and ran towards her brother giving him a big hug. Karter smiled sweetly down at his sister. It was too cute.

"Come on kiddo, get your bag," he said patting the top of her head. She skipped to her cubby bringing the My Little Pony backpack to Karter. She waved her friends and teacher goodbye before stepping outside with Karter. She finally seemed to realize I was there.

"Who's this?" Her eyes widened as she stared at me curiously.

"Harley, I want you to meet my friend Livia," Karter told her sweetly. Friend! Yes! He said it without me forcing him!

"Hi Harley," I said awkwardly. I really was not good with kids. This was going to be a disaster.

She motioned for Karter to come closer to her as she whispered his ear. "She's pretty."

I realized two things:

1) Kids are not capable of whispering.

2) I think I liked her now.

Karter blushed before looking at me. "Sure."

"Is she your girlfriend?" Harley asked, not bothering to whisper as she looked between us curiously.

Karter turned a shade even darker as I was turning. "No, I told you she's my friend."

Harley looked slightly disappointed making me laugh. Okay, so maybe she was growing on me.

She held Karter's hand before reaching out to grab mine. I tensed up at the gesture, Karter gave me a worried look as if scared I was going to let his sister down. I gave him a supporting smile that put him at ease as I held Harley's hand. He needed to trust me if we were going to make this friendship work.

We walked to Karter's house hearing Harley talk about her day. Karter was looking at her so sweetly it was melting my heart. It was as if she was his whole world. So maybe Karter wasn't the big bad wolf he made himself seem to be, he was sweet.