The Night all was Ruined

[Authors Note: I'm not familiar with time zones so please just go with the flow of the story.]

Nova's P.O.V.

I've never felt so nervous that I'd puke, but what I'm feeling now seems dangerously close to that.

I'm in Havenburg.

I can't believe it. If it weren't for the post with a sign saying "Welcome to Havenburg" on it, I'd swear I was still in my hometown.

After reclaiming my luggage, I was starting for the exit when I spotted a lonely newspaper on the bench next to me. Picking it up, I saw the man on the cover was the notorious Prince Simon of Havenburg and nearly threw it away because of that. Before making the decision to come study here, I did somewhat-thorough research into Havenburg's established government and found the royal has done some of the most stupid crap just to flaunt his power. The only reason I was still holding the paper was the chance that there might be coupons inside.

With the paper and my bags in hand, I left the airport. It didn't take long for my taximan to reach my college's Havenburg living quarters and not long after that for me to get everything unpacked and situated. By the time I was settled it was almost 3PM here but 2AM at home.

I wonder if Mom is still waiting up for me?

I picked up my cell and dialed her. Before I heard a second ring, my mom picked up.

"Hey, Ma."

"Oh, I made it fine."

"The ride was okay. The stewardess was stingy on my food, but I got to sit next to a really cute guy."

"Yeah, we got to know each other. We talked about movies, the things happening in Havenburg, and about his wife who is 7 months pregnant."

"Yup."

"Yep, I know. School first."

"Okay."

"I know but"

"Listen, Ma."

Ma, I'm a little jetlagged. I just got off a thirteen hour flight, and I'm beat. I'm going to knock out any second."

"Alright goodnight, Ma. Say goodnight to Mark for me."

"Alright. I love you too."

"Bye."

That conversation felt like an eternity.

Without care, I kind of just flung myself on the bed and was about to knock out when I heard crinkling. I reached down and found the paper from earlier. It was open to the article about the Prince Simon guy. The only thing that I could make out through the blur of my sleepy eyes was the "I'm attractive, young and rich -what's there not to love?" bolded comment.

how snobby...

Simon's P.O.V.

"'I'm attractive, young and rich -WHAT'S THERE NOT TO LOVE?!' WHY DID YOU SAY SOMETHING SO SNOBBY IN THE INTERVIEW?!"

My mother Queen Lucia has never had a soft voice, as you can tell. I think my ear is bleeding a little..

"Mom, it was a joke! I didn't mean it." sort of.

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say because her scowl became even more threatening and the vien in her forehead throbbed. Crap. 

"This isn't a joke, Simon. Your father and I have raised you to be a fine gentleman. Instead, you decide to spend your time and our money on meaningless things. It's time to grow up."

Before I could defend my character, my father jumped in too. "Your mother is right, son. You have responsibilities that can't be brushed off any longer. You'll be twenty-four tomorrow and the "Traditional Union" will begin soon. You can't keep acting childish.

I can't believe this. "It was just an interview! It was unhonest answer and everyone knows that. Stop making a big deal out of nothing."

After what seemed like a heavy silence, my mother finally spoke in a surprisingly soft but disappointed tone, "You don't leave us with a choice."

Huh?

"The jokes must stop here. We are sorry," my father interjected.

Wait, what?

"Simon, we will be announcing the start of the "Traditional Union" tomorrow."

--------------------

Like it?

^v^