Chapter Four

Clove's PoV 

_____________________________________ 

We enter the Capitol Circle, with the other districts behind us. I watch all of their entrances, knowing ours received the most attention. But then it happens. I never thought it possible, but District 12 outshines us all. The tributes. Are. On. FIRE. They are smiling and waving at the crowd, seeming actually happy to be there together. The crowd loves them, especially the girl. Just looking at her makes me sick. She's blowing kisses to the crowd, clearly eating up their praise and attention. I groan inwardly. They are in the running for sponsers. Our mentors are not going to be happy about that. But before I get a chance to see if Cato feels the same way, the parade is over and President Snow is on his balcony. He is small. Frail looking, as if the slightest movement would push him off of his spot.

He gives his normal speech and we leave the Circle. We exit through the Training Center. I glare at D12. The nerve of them makes me want hit something. District 12 is the lowest of the low. They have no buisness trying to raise themselves up into better ranks. One thing is for sure, I am not going to forget this in a hurry. I make a mental note to tell Cato that I have killing dibs on the girl.

I am so ticked off that I barely see Cato as he grabs my elbow and walks me over to our mentors. We walk into something called an elevator. This will lead up to our floors which will be our temparary home. I look outside the crystal windows as we ride the elevators to level 2. It is very exciting. Best part about the whole day.

At dinner, it is clear that Enobaria is steaming. Brutus digs into his plate, not saying anything. Finally Enobaria can't handle it anymore. She spits out with utter contempt, "Th-th-the NERVE of those..... COAL MINERS!!! Did you see the way they strove in? Walking like the whole world should bow at their feet!" Brutus replies, through a mouth of half-chewed food, "They were in a chariot Enobaria. There was no walking happening." He takes a swig of red wine before ignoring us again as Enobaria's shrill voice rings out. "Still!! They could have ruined the Games before they even started!!"

Cato chuckles. "Why? We'll still kill them when the time comes, eh Clove?" I glance up at him before looking back down at my plate. I don't even answer. Tired of the ravings, tired of egos, and not even wanting to be here, I stand up--fed up.

With all of my strength aimed at keeping my emotions under control, I excuse myself, saying I was tired and needed sleep for the next day. I walk down the hall to my room and had just closed the door when I hear a knock. I let out a sigh and open it. Cato stands in front of the door. "Can I talk to you?" he asks.