Chapter Two

Clove's PoV 

___________________

I can't believe it. Not only am I going into the Games but I have a jerk that volunteered to go in with me. As soon as our mentor leaves the room I turn to him saying, "Look. You stick to your training and I'll stay with mine. I don't want any interference or distractions. Got it?"

He gives me a look that I can't quite read Sarcasm? Humor? Admiration? He smirks slightly and said, "No worries Clove." I smile sarcasticly before I head to my room. No way do I want somebody named Cato ruining my chances of survival. That night I can't sleep because I'm worried. Can I really beat all of these tributes and go back to my family? Not that there is anything to go back to. My brother Christoph is the only one who really cares about me, and only when he is home. Mom; She pays attention to Christoph and my dad, but usually I'm invisible. Dad is mentally ill so I don't know if he even remembers me. I know that some of the tributes will probably be a pushover, but in the end can I even beat my own fellow tribute? What is his deal anyways? Why did he have to seem so superior just because he volunteered?

The train ride was smooth and short. Us being from District 2, we are pretty close in location to the Capitol. As I wake up I see the Capitol's train station as we pull into it. I leap out of bed, grab clothes and dress.Our mentors, Enobaria and Brutus are waiting at the breakfast table with Cato. Apparantly they are waiting for me. I slide into my chair and begin to pull various foods onto my plate. Cato watches me carefully. I look at Enobaria, ignoring him. "What's the plan?" I ask her. Brutus answers.

"Tough. You are from District 2. You are higher in rank than the other tributes so ACT it. Don't show emotion other than strength, power, and be intimidating." Enobaria takes over saying, "What are your best skills?" I stare at Cato daring him to go first. He willingly replies, "I'm best with a sword and a spear. But I can kill anything without or with any weapon." He returns my stare, the mocking clear in his eyes. I tell Enobaria; "Knive throwing."

She nodd, processing the information. "Good, good. Now later today we will have your chariot entrance into theCapitol. First off, you both are meeting your stylists so that they can prepare you." Enobaria escorts me from the room first so I have no idea what happened to Cato.

Four hours later, I am prepped; all hair not on my head had been removed, leaving baby-like skin. My eyebrows are in an unnatural shape, my eyes dyed, hair messed with, and as I look in the mirror, my only thought is I look like a chicken. The plaits in my armor remind me of feathers as do the sides of my helmet.

Cato enters the room in similar looking armor. He smirks at me as our eyes meet. I am determined not to let his cockiness get to me. He extends a hand and we step onto the chariot. He looks at me again and asks with unexpected softness, "Are you ready?" I smile slightly. No. No I'm not. But I'm not going to tell him that. "As ready as I will ever be." The doors open and we begin the first part of the Hunger Games.