Chapter Three

Cato's PoV

________________________

As I stand there holding her hand, it is all I can do too keep the smile off of my face. Clove and I are on the chariot, driving to the City Circle. The grey sky is lit all around the Circle by lights projecting from the windows that are everywhere. District 1, naturally, went ahead of us and was the first to receive the crowds attention. They already arrived at the Circle. We pick up their slack though, and receive just as much, if not more attention, from the cheering crowd. We stand firm, no traces of smiles on our faces. We don't wave to the crowds nor do we look at them. We are the poster childs of strength, the perfect images of power. I glance over at Clove and my mind goes back in time.

I had trained with her only a couple of times. From the way she treated me after the reaping, I left the wrong impression on her. The first time I met her, she was throwing knives at targets, always hitting where she intended. I stood in the doorway of the training center as she relentlessly trained. Obviously the girl had natural talent. Either that or she trained 24/7. The former seemed more likely. When she threw the knives it was as if she were executing dance steps. It seemed so natural to her. A female trainer stood watching her, giving out pointers only occasionally.

After some time the trainer saw me. I walked over to her. She asked me, "Are you Cato?" I nodded. She called to the girl, "Clove, come here a minute to meet your training partner." As she walked, I couldn't help but stare. Her dark hair swayed and her eyes were piercing, sizing me up. I folded my arms and looked back. She frowned. Uh-oh. Was I over intimidating? She sneered, "Nice to meet you. I'm Clove." Yup. I over did it. Either that or she was simply a snob. I smiled, trying to ease her. "Name's Cato. Nice throwing." Her eyes grew wide, then returned to normal. "Thanks. Excuse me." She walked back over to the targets, throwing with more force than before. The trainer introduced herself as Avonia. She said she was there to guide us and prepare us for 'future displays of power'. I barely heard her.

I threw myself into the training trying desperately to ease the wall of anger that Clove had put up. Nothing worked. I decapitated dummies, killed computerized mutations, and slew imaginary tributes. Trying to show her that I was as stong as her, and not someone lower in rank that was to be despised. Trying to befriend her. Weeks later, it worked in some sense. After one day of training, she spoke to me. Avonia had already left, so we were alone. I was trying to give her tips on spear throwing as earlier she was having.....problems with it. She turned on me like a rabid dog. "You really think you're something don't you? Do you think you are a gift from heaven to help poor little me train with every weapon? Well Cato," she spat out my name with utter contempt, "You leave me ALONE. I don't need your help. I don't want your help!" She stormed out of the building, my eyes following every move. Man she was something. I knew had feelings for her but I didn't know if they were friendly or romantic.

Looking at her standing next to me, I know exactly how I feel about her.