Chapter 10

Matthew

"What time is it?" I ask Alexis, my voice hoarse from just awakening.

"It's seven."

"Oh. I think I should go home right now so I can quickly shower and put on some clean clothes, but I'll see you later at school, okay?" I wasn't at all planning to stay here, and I did tell my mom that I wouldn't. She usually wakes around 7:30, anyway, so I think that if I walk fast enough, I can make it in time before she wakes up to notice I'm still gone.

"Okay," Alexis nods. "You don't live far, do you?"

"No, not at all. Just a few blocks."

"Oh, alright then. See you later."

I walk home as fast as I can and make it in ten minutes. When I walk in, Mom is still asleep. Thank you Jesus. I run upstairs to my room and grab my stuff to get ready for my shower. I take a quick hot shower, get dressed and brush my teeth, all in fifteen minutes. By the time I get out of my room and head downstairs, Mom is making breakfast.

"Morning, Matt," she greets me like she does everyday.

"Good morning." Mom is making eggs and sausage links. I'm really hungry and still have enough time before school starts, so I decide to sit down at the table and join her for breakfast. Dad has already left for work. I begin to gobble my food as soon as my mother serves me a small plateful and finish it quickly. I get up and put my plate in the sink and thank her before I grab my backpack and head for the Hell I have to call school. Thank god it's Friday.

Today I surprisingly feel very alert and awake-Probably because I slept like a bunny last night-; I actually pay some attention in class. My first period is History. We go over what happened on 9/11, even though I'm pretty sure everybody already knows, and watch a video about it. 9/11 isn't for another week and a half. Before I head off to math, Nash, who was sitting next to me, taps my shoulder and I abruptly turn around, not knowing who it is.

"Hey, man, didn't you get my texts? Where were you yesterday?" He asks.

"Oh, uh sorry about that I guess I didn't read them. I was..." My voice trails off. Should I tell him the truth? He would probably assume something went on between me and Alexis, which it didn't. Well we kissed, but that's it.

"I was working on homework and then I fell asleep," I decide to tell him to cover up where I really was.

"Oh okay.. Lazy ass."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Shut up, dude." Now it's time to head to Algebra II. Time to see Alexis again. Time to be bored to death by Mr. Lee and somewhat by Alexis. Alexis doesn't necessarily bore me, I just don't always pay attention to what she is saying. I pay attention to the cute little things that she does while she is talking. She talks while using her hands a lot to emphasize whatever it is she's talking about, she giggles a lot in between some sentences, and she moves her eyes around a lot. I think I talk with my hands too. I've always known this and noticed it, but I don't think i have ever actually realized it up until now.

"... Camping," is the last word I hear come out of Alexis' mouth.

"What?"

"Next weekend. My mom is taking me camping to Big Bear with my aunt and cousins. I can't wait!" She seems very enthusiastic.

"Oh cool. I love Big Bear."

"Really? I've never been. Actually, I don't even really remember the last time I went to the snow."

"Oh. Well, I'm sure you'll love it. It's really fun," I assure her. She thanks me with a smile and turns back around in her seat to face the board again.

Today's lesson is solving negative square roots. The only thing that really sticks in my mind without having to write it down on paper is that the answer to a negative square root can be classified as an imaginary number. It's only twenty minutes into class, and I'm already lost. I don't really want to, but I think I'm gonna have to ask Mr. Lee later if he'll switch my seat so that I won't be as distracted from Alexis talking to me. I love getting to talk to her, but my grades are important to me. I don't know how she manages to go on and on talking and still end up with good grades. Of course, it won't only be because I can't focus my thoughts, I also can't focus my eyes on the board too well. I think I'm going to have to get glasses soon, but once at the eye doctor, I'll convince Dad to just let me get contacts.