Chapter 2

Matthew

Wow. That was one of the best first days of school ever. Mom asks me why I'm smiling so much and humming, I just told her that I made a new friend.

"Oh, that's great! What's his name?" She asks me, the enthusiasm clear in her voice.

"Um, Mom, it's not another dude. And her name is Alexis. She seemed really scared to be the only ninth-grader to be in my math class, but she opened up a little more at lunch." I say stuffing my face with Doritos. "She is really cool." I finish saying after swallowing the mouthful of chips.

"Oh well that's nice, too, honey. Wait, you said she's in ninth grade?" I don't know why she is so surprised. I made friends with kids older than me when I was in ninth grade.

"Yeah. She says she's new to Santa Monica, so she has no friends. I wanted to be nice and become her first friend, and to be honest, I'm really glad I did." I hope she can't tell that I'm dancing around really happily on the inside.

"How sweet of you!" She gives me a quick kiss on the forehead before I go upstairs to my room. I'm really tired, despite the great day I had. I hope she appears in my dreams. It'd be nice to talk to her in my dreams at least because my dumbass was too busy checking her out to even remember to get her number. I would prefer to talk to her in person of course, though, just so I can see the growing smile on her face when I make her laugh.

Alexis is so cool. I've met plenty of cool girls before, but none like her. There was just something about her, though I don't know exactly what it is. All I know is that I want her in my life forever, wether we're just friends or more than that. She is so nice, smart and beautiful. I can't help but constantly think of her. I can't even try to concentrate on the homework I should be doing right now because I'm too distracted by my head full of these thoughts all about her. This has never happened before, I don't know what is wrong with me, but maybe it's not a bad thing.

God, she really is beautiful. She has hazel eyes that look like marbles with long lashes. Full, light pink lips that make the perfect combination with her bright white teeth to make up her big smile. Her cheeks are a little rosy. Her nose is small but cute. She has long wavy hair down to her back that has a few light brown and goldish highlights. I don't think they're natural but they look great on her anyway. Her caramel-colored skin seems to go perfectly with whatever she is wearing, even though I've only seen her in one outfit. She's shorter than me, maybe just about 5'5''. There's something inside of me that just makes me want to see her everyday. I'm sure I'm not the only one, though because the guys seemed a little wide-eyed when I introduced her. They'd better realize that I saw her first and I really want her to be my girlfriend.

I can't fall asleep, not even for a few moments. The more I think about Alexis, the more I realize I can't stop. Damn it, she has even become a distraction from me sleeping even when I'm as tired as I am right now. Mom calls me down for dinner, interrupting my thoughts. Well not completely. I am now wishing I had invited her over for dinner just to have her here, but I guess it is just the first day.

Mom made chicken enchiladas with Mexican cream and cheese over the top. I love enchiladas. How did she know I was craving them? I guess it's just a mom thing, to know the most important things on their child's mind, because while the family eats at the table, she asks, "Matthew, why don't you tell your dad about Alexis?" I can feel my face redden.

"Damn, Matt! You scored a girl on the first day, already? That's awesome!" my dad who likes to jump to conclusions says. I almost choke on my food. I wish I did score her, but no.

"Uh, no. She's just a new friend I made, actually. She's in ninth grade and she's in my math class, and-"

"Ooh wow, so she's a smart one? Well I think you should keep this one, she's sounding great to me already if she's smart and yet still becomes friends with an eleventh grade boy on her first day." Dad rudely interrupts. I love my dad, but he can really get on my nerves sometimes.

"Yes, she is smart. Now let me finish." I try to say calmly. "She is nice and really chill. She doesn't seem to mind to hang around guys; she ate with me and all of my friends at lunch. Her laugh is so funny, it's kind of adorable. I apparently make her laugh a lot so my jokes come out to be a good thing for the both of us." I shut my mouth when I hear myself say that last sentence. I don't like to be the center of attention at dinner time in my house. It really makes me feel awkward.

Mom and Dad laugh a little at my comment about Alexis. "Well that's great, son. I'm happy you've made a new friend." Dad says and I get up to put my plate in the sink and go back up to my room.

I'm finally able to go to sleep, but no dreams come. When I wake up in the morning I rush to get ready so I can quickly find Alexis at school. I love talking to her.