Chapter 16 - Andy's Drunken Confession

BRADIE’S POV

I was in my room lying in bed just about to drift off to sleep when I heard a loud crash. I sat up in a flash. What the hell was that? I looked over at my clock on my nightstand, two-thirty. Andy went out tonight, at least that’s what I assumed when he didn’t come home after he left Brooke and I stranded at the hospital. So, it’s either Andy or a burglar. I’m gonna take my chances with Andy. I was convinced it was him when I heard a loud knocking on my bedroom door.

“Bradieee,” he whined outside my door.

Well, he’s obviously drunk. I was about to get up and open the door, but he just barged in and collapsed on my bed.

“Why, why didn’t you open the door?” he questioned shaking my shoulder a little too hard, “I was out there for agesss.”

“Andy, you were out there for two seconds,” I corrected him, “I was about to open the door.”

“You’re sooo smart,” he drunkenly put his arms around me, “you’re gonna make some girl really happy some dayyy.”

“Um…Andy,” I was about to correct him, but he butt in.

“Oh yeah, you like dudesss,” he slurred shoving my shoulder, “so you take it up the…”

“Okay Andy,” I cut him off trying to get him up off my bed, “time to leave.”

“No, but Bradieee,” he whined, his beer breath hot on my face, “I have to tell you a secrettt.”

“What? How many chicks you fucked tonight?” I questioned letting him go.

“No, silly, silly Bradie,” he shoved my shoulder again, I swear that’s gonna be bruised tomorrow.

“Well, what then?” I asked holding my sore shoulder, “I just wanna go to bed.”

“I did something baddd,” he slurred.

“Who’d you have unprotected sex with now?” I joked, he didn’t look happy.

“No, no, I can’t tell you,” he shook his head, “you’ll tell my doctor that I was drinking tonight.”

What on earth is he on about? Nothing he’s saying is making sense.

“What doctor?” I questioned, “why’ve you been seeing a doctor?”

“I wasn’t supposed to tell you that!” he put his head in his hands.

He seemed to be snapping out of his drunken state a bit. Maybe something really is wrong.

“Andy, just tell me,” I put my arm around him and talked to him like a five year old because he sure was acting like it.

“But you’ll tell,” he peeked a look at me through his hands.

What is this? Primary school?

“I promise I won’t say anything to anyone,” I reassured him, “it can be our secret.”

“Really? You promise?” he asked shocked.

“Yes, you didn’t tell anyone about me before I came out and you’re worse at keeping secrets than I am,” I explained.

“You’re such an awesome brotherrr,” he hugged me, seems like he’s switching back to his drunken state again.

“Yeah, okay,” I took his arms off of me, “now tell me.”

“I’m sick, Bradie,” he confessed.

That could mean anything. I really wish he wasn’t drunk right now, so he could tell me straight. But then again, would he tell me sober?

“What do you mean ‘sick’?” I questioned.

“I mean I’m sick,” he started, “I’ve been seeing a doctor for the past few months.”

“But what for?” I asked.

I was getting really worried. He could actually be pulling my chain because he’s off his head, but he’s never sounded so serious during all his drunken midnight stumbles into my room. He looked scared, scared to tell me, scared for his life. He was sitting there with his head in his hands, silent, not answering me.

“Andy?” I shook him to make sure he hadn’t passed out.

He lifted his head up and looked at me. His eyes bloodshot and tears running down his unshaven face. I felt my heart jump into my throat just looking at him. I haven’t seen him like this our whole adult lives.

“I’m so scared, Bradie,” he cried into my shoulder.

He told me everything, all his visits to the doctor, the tests that he’s now awaiting results for. All that while sobbing into my shoulder dampening my shirt. I sat there silent not caring. I didn’t know what to say. I feel so selfish. The past two weeks or so has been all about me while he’s been suffering in silence. Sure, I didn’t know, but I should’ve noticed he wasn’t being that hyper Andy that I remember from months ago.

I’ve gotta be here for him like he was for me. It’s his turn…