Halloween

A/N: Thanks to my beta sort of proud! And to all of my lovely readers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Remus Lupin, I am highly disappointed in you,” Professor McGonagall said at dinner one night. “I have watched your daughter completely ruin her appetite with desserts all week, and you have not stepped in once to correct her behavior. How do you expect her to grow properly if you don’t see to it that she’s eating the foods she needs to?”

                Even as a grown adult, Emma’s dad still squirmed under the older woman’s stern look.

                “It’s okay,” Emma said around a spoonful of pudding. “Daddy bribed me, but next week I’m eating normal again.”

                Her dad buried his face in his hands as his fellow staff members stopped eating to listen in.

                “He bribed you?” Professor McGonagall said, aghast. “Whatever for?”

                “Ummm, I don’t think I’m allowed to say it out loud…”

                “No, you’re not,” her dad said, not looking up from his hands.

                “Leave them be Minerva,” Dumbledore chuckled. “It’s Remus’s decision how he wants to raise his daughter, and what he chooses to bribe her over.”

                “Careful Lupin,” Snape drawled. Emma jumped. She didn’t think she’d ever heard the man speak at dinner before. “If you give her a taste for manipulation now, you may end up with a Slytherin on your hands.”

                Her dad looked up from his hands, appearing vaguely horrified.

                “There’s nothing wrong with being a Slytherin,” Professor McGonagall said, but Emma figured she was only saying it to be nice.

                Emma looked at Professor Snape curiously. “If I were a Slytherin then I’d be sneaky, right?”

                “You’d be cunning; able to get what you want, when you want,” he said.

                She shrugged. “That doesn’t sound so bad.”

                “Don’t get your hopes up. I doubt Slytherin would take her.”

                Professor McGonagall turned her admonitions to Professor Snape, while Remus sent him a glare, recognizing the underlying barb about Emma being the child of a werewolf.

                His glare was broken when Professor Flitwick leaned over to whisper to him. “Really though, what did you bribe her for?”

                The small man’s obvious amusement made him crack a grin, and he whispered back the answer. Flitwick chuckled, making an ‘oh’ face.

                Emma ignored the adults around her, refocusing on her dessert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                “Why look, it’s the little Lupin child!”

                Emma turned around, smiling when she saw the twins. “Fred! George!”

                “At your service,” they said, bowing.

                She ran up to them happily, hugging their knees. “I haven’t seen you two in forever!”