Tea with Hagrid

Emma had been looking forward to having tea at Hagrid’s ever since she woke up, but had dad had made her promise to wait till at least eleven o’clock before she visited. It was ten till eleven when Emma made her way to Hagrid’ hut.

He opened the door within seconds of knocking, smiling widely. “Ello Emma.”

A slobbering mass of fur bolted towards her, nearly knocking her over.

“Don worry, that’s jus Fang, ‘es harmless, really,” Hagrid said, pulling Fang back by his collar.

“It’s okay, I like big dogs,” Emma said, remembering Padfoot. She reached up to scratch behind Fang’s ears as Hagrid went to fetch the tea.

“Ave a seat. Cake?”

“Yes, please,” Emma said seating.

Hagrid presented her with a large cup and a mound of cake that hit the table with a loud thud. Emma cautiously nibbled on it; it had the consistency of a rock. “Um, Professor Hagrid, would you mind breaking this into bites for me?”

“Sure thing,” he said, breaking it into more manageable bits.

Emma found that she could now suck on them like one would rock candy.

“So,” Professor Hagrid said, “how ya likin Hogwarts?”

Emma needed no further prompting. She launched into a tale of everything that had happened to her since she first got to Hogwarts—minus the prank of course. Professor Hagrid seemed pleased that Emma was interested enough in his class to watch. He told her that she could sit in anytime she wanted.

It was time to talk about what she was really interested though. She looked down, fiddling with Moony. “So, um, you see Harry a lot, yeah?”

“Sure do. He an Ron an Hermione come down ter see me a lot. Good kids they are.”

“Do you think that you could help me talk with Harry? See my dad was his dad’s friend back in school and—“

“Say no more,” Professor Hagrid said, waving her off. “Yer dad an James were insep’rable. The trio’s comin for tea this weekend bout this time. Why don ya come down then?”

She jumped up to hug him. “Thank you!”

“Not a problem. Now, how’d ya like ta hear bout some unicorns?”

Emma sat back down happily to listen to Hagrid’s story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“But Daddy, you have to come with me!” Emma pouted.

Remus sighed. “For the last time Emma, I’m not going. It would be rude of me to show up unannounced.”

Emma had been trying to convince her dad to join her for tea with Hagrid and the trio all week, but he kept stubbornly refusing. He came up with excuses about how it’d be impolite, or how the students wouldn’t want to have tea with him, but Emma wasn’t buying it.

“You’re just nervous about seeing Harry.”

“I am not,” her dad defended halfheartedly.

“Yes you are. You’re afraid he won’t like you.”

Her dad seemed to deflate a little, dropping his head in his hands. “But what if he doesn’t? I mean I’ve wanted to see him for years, and what ifI screw it up now, and he never wants to speak to me again, and I’ll know I blew it before it even starts and—“ he shook his head. “Forget it.”