Early prank

Author’s note: Sorry about the long wait guys! This was supposed to come out nearly a week ago, but the computer I type it on caught a virus and had to go to the shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the welcome feast was over, Emma finally got to see where she and her dad would be living for the next several months.

“Are you ready?” Remus asked her.

She nodded excitedly. He slowly opened the door to reveal…an office. A bare office with only a large desk and a chair. “This is it?” Emma asked. She didn’t want to be whinny, but surely her dad didn’t expect her to live here.

He reached down and ruffled her hair. “Patience Emma Lily. Good things come to those who wait.”

“Patience for what? Are we waiting for the room to grow?”

“You could say that.”

He walked up to a portrait of a small bird. It wasn’t one Emma recognized; it was navy blue with red-purple streaks on its belly, and long, curly tail feathers. “Chunky monkey.”

Emma giggled. Chunky monkey was her favorite flavor of ice cream (mostly because it was fun to make her dad say it whilst ordering). Her giggle quickly turned to a gasp however, when the portrait opened up to reveal a staircase.

Emma quickly ran down it, not waiting for her dad to follow. The living area had plush beige carpet, a mahogany coffee table, a long brown couch, and a brown, comfy looking chair. Against the walls were a few shelves, bare for the moment. The carpet gave way to a hardwood dining area with a small table and three chairs. It had cabinets and a sink, but none of the muggle appliances Emma was used to seeing a home.

Her dad prodded her forward. “Your bedroom is the first one down the hallway.”

Emma raced to it, threw open the door, and froze, stunned. The carpet was a dark brown color and the walls were an interesting mosaic of pink and orange blends.On the far wall, the one with the window, a giant brown tree had been painted with swirly branches that wrapped around the window seal. The bed sat at the center of the room, head pushed against the wall. Its cover was emerald green with brown circles.

Remus came up behind her and shook his head. “Look at those walls. You would like something like that, wouldn’t you?”

“But..how?”

“Verbs Emma dear. You mustn’t forget how to use your verbs. How what?”

“How did they know I liked pink? And orange? And trees? And green?”

“Well it is a magic castle. I imagine it knows a lot of things.”

Emma gaped at him. “You mean the castle did this?!”

He nodded. “It expands and changes as it pleases.”

Emma ran to the nearest wall and threw herself at it, doing her best to try and hug it. “Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. Castle! I love it! I promise I’ll take really good care of it!”

Remus laughed, gently prying his daughter away from the wall. “It’s a room not a kitten Emma. Though I do expect you to keep it clean.”

“Will do! Oh, but can I have a kitten?”

“No.”

“I’d take good care of it!”

“I’m sure you would. Now would you like to see my room?”

She nodded, easily distracted to Remus’s relief. He should know by now never to mention the potential pets in front of a child.

Remus’s room was no disappointment—at least not to him. Emma had been hoping that as a teacher, her dad would have something grander. He had the same chocolaty carpet as Emma did with bronze colored walls and a king sized bed with a rich red cover. Hanging on his wall was a framed piece of paper, containing some of his favorite lines of poetry. He supposed that he’d quoted them enough for the castle to remember them. He smiled; even as an adult, Hogwarts knew exactly how to make him feel right at home.