Little Talks

I sigh, that was unexpected. Mom and Dad come home together and bring pizza. We eat in silence, everyone's just too tired. Mom only eats a little bit of food and then kisses me on the top of my head.

"Night, honey," she murmurs then goes upstairs to bed.

"Crystal," Dad says, "Can I ask you something?"

"What?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath, "Are you and Cooper Russ... going out together?"

My eyes widen, "How did you find out?"

Dad runs his hand through his unruly hair, "Cooper came in today and I had to watch him. He started to get bored and talked to me. I guess he didn't know I'm your father because he told me he is a relationship with Crystal Wayne."

I sigh, "He isn't good at keeping secrets."

"Crystal," Dad starts, "Do you...uh... like him?"

I look at my feet, "Yes."

"He wants to talk to you," Dad says, "Tomorrow you can come with me and speak to Cooper. It's just... I don't know if I would trust him."

"I do, Dad," I say.

"What happened to Justin? He was a nice-"

"He's gone," I interrupt.

I don't really like my parents to go on and on about how Justin is such in nice guy and whatever. I know what he's like and they never dated him.

"Tomorrow I'll call the school about your absence and we'll head off," Dad explains.

I nod and throw away my cold pizza. Dad grabs another slice and watches me walk to the stairs.

"Wait," I say, "Are you going to tell Mom?"

"Let's not, I don't know how she would react," Dad says.

I walk up stairs to bed, it's been a very long day. Let's see... my boyfriend went to jail, my ex-boyfriend decided to make out with me against my will, Dad now knows I'm dating Cooper, I think that's it.

I change into my pajamas and curl up in my bed. I fall asleep almost instantly, I have no dreams that night.

***

"We're here!" Dad says happily.

I don't know anyone else who is happy to see a jail besides my dad.

It's the plainest building you'll ever see, few windows and painted gray.

"Great!" I say, trying to be in Dad's mood.

I'm happy to see my boyfriend, but the location could be better.

Dad parks and leads me to the entrance of the jail. There's just an elevator and I push the button. The elevator beeps and opens. We shuffle in and Dad presses the 5th button.

The elevator opens up to a small waiting room and a door on the left.

We walk in and I sit down on a thin padded chair. The room had no decorations, just three chairs lined up together.

"Wait here," Dad tells me and walks through the door.

I twiddle my thumbs until Dad comes back.

"He's ready," Dad says and I stand up.

Dad leads me through the door and down the hallway. Rooms ran beside it and we stop at the last one.

Dad looks at me, "Here's the room you guys can talk in. Remember this is going to be videotaped and monitored."