A Normal Day (Kinda)

"Crystal! Come down stairs! Breakfast is ready!" Mom shouts upstairs.

I run downstairs in a hurry. Dad has his head stuck in his newspaper like always and Mom was cooking what smells like pancakes and bacon. It's just a typical Monday morning.

Mom hands me a plate of pancakes and bacon as I sit down at the table. One odd thing about my family is that we wake up really early so we have enough time to talk at breakfast.

Mom sits down with her own plate of breakfast while Dad just continues to read his newspaper. I bet if the house's walls just suddenly crumbles to the ground, he wouldn't notice.

Mom and I are just chatting about her past boyfriends when Dad suddenly puts the paper down on the table.

"Something wrong, dear?" Mom asks him.

"Cooper Russ just got released from prison!" Dad exclaims.

Now that makes me put down my fork with a pancake slice attached to it. Cooper Russ was the worst boy in the country, maybe even the world. He's encountered the police so many times and no one keeps track on how many times he's been sent to jail any more. He's been sent for drug dealing, underage drinking, and underage drinking while driving, stealing, and I don't think I need to go on, you get the idea.

"I don't know why they keep releasing him and then just bringing him back," Dad sighs.

Mom continues eating, "He is still a child. Maybe he'll change."

There goes my Mom, always convinced that a person can change. Then something snaps in my head.

"Dad?" I say.

"Yes, honey?" he answers, finally picking up a slice of bacon.

"Is Cooper coming back to school?" I say nervously.

"I would think so, Crystal. He is a kid still and this is America."

I groan and continue eating slower. Now I'll have to see him and worry about if I happen to bump into him. 12th grade is going to be great.

I'm only really sociable with family members and my small group of friends: Tris, Michelle, and I. We are pretty much known as the 'nobodies'. We aren't the people that are popular or the ones who get teased by the popular kids. No one pays attention to us or cares about us. Frankly, I like it like that.

I glance at my watch and my eyes widen, "I'm late!"

I run around the house in a hurry to find all my stuff for school. I finally find everything and race to the bus stop. I reach the bus stop when the bus was about to close its doors.

"Wait!" I shout, running up the steps and boarded the bus.

"Just made it," the bus driver responds gruffly.

I smile, "Thanks, Bob."

He grunts something else but I don't speak caveman. I search the bus until I see a brightly dressed girl standing up and wildly waving her hand. I walk down the rows until I sit down next to the girl.

"Hi, Crystal!" she says brightly.

I smile, "Hey, Michelle." She's probably the happiest and most cheerful out of all us.

On our left is Tris stretched out on the bus seat typing madly on her cell phone while listening to music. Tris is boy crazy and has a new boyfriend about every month. She is the pretty much zoned out in the morning and will be steaming mad if someone interrupts her while she's texting her boyfriend or when she's really into her music.

When we finally reach school, it's as busy as ever. People were standing looking at their phones, talking, opening lockers, or flirting with lovers. Michelle and I say goodbye while Tris runs over to her boyfriend.

The day goes by normally until the end school. I was finishing a test in Math when suddenly an announcement comes on.

"Bus 3765 will not be coming today. All students are still expected to have a way to get home though," the office lady says.

I silently cuss. The only way to get home now is to walk through the back allies. I start my nasty habit of chewing my finger nails, one reason I don't paint them, when the teacher picks up the tests. When the bell rings I quickly run to my locker and get all my things, I want to get home as possible.

I pause for a second and text Tris and Michelle:

Going home by foot text u later- Crystal

I travel through the crowd of people until I finally break off from it, entering the 'back end of the stick' part of town. This is where most of the illegal events happen. I focus on the ground, not wanting to look at the people passing by me. Most of them were wasted or stumbling on the sidewalk.

I pass a small ally when I hear two low voices. They were muttering something. One sounds focused and the other's words were almost all slurred. I stop walking, listening harder. Should I take a look? I mean, I don't have much to lose, do I? As my brain argues with itself, my heart doesn't wait.

I step in front of the entrance of the ally way as my body goes stiff. Two guys were staring at me. One holding a container of drugs and the other guy holding out a wad of cash in one hand and a beer in the other.

The one with the cash and beer bolts the direction opposite of me and runs straight into a brick wall, knocking himself out.

The guy with the drugs looks at the person passed out in disgust. Then straight at me.

"Who are you, girl? You made me lose a costumer," he scowls.

My whole body is frozen as I manage to squeak out, "Cooper Russ!"