Finally Home

Disclaimer: I do not own Ghost Hunt only the plot for this story

~NARU'S POV~

"We need your help." The voice is shrill over the static-y line of the phone. I lean back in my chair holding my black notebook and scribbling down some notes. My head pounds and I press my fingers into the bridge of my nose to relieve it.

The sunlight that pours through the thin curtains blinds me and I turn away wishing I had some tea to drink. Ever since returning from my prolonged trip to England I've been having increasingly horrible caffeine cravings. "Mai," I call out of habit before correcting myself.

Forget about her, I tell myself. Turning away I try to focus on the voice coming through the phone. She couldn't live without a job for five years and you didn't offer to take her with you. You know she would've said yes, and you could've gotten her away from Monk, John, and Osamu, even Lin wanted her, even if he lies to himself about it . And the worst part is you do too, no matter what you do you just can't forget her.

"-and there have been two in the past four days." The man finishes, but I've missed the entirety of his thought daydreaming about my previous assistant accompanying me to England when I left five years ago.

I sigh and scribble something in my planner without thinking, call Mai. Leaning back I say coolly, "I must apologize, I've been lost in thought can you repeat that?" Through the phone I hear a distant grumble about paying attention.

"For the past seven years students and faculty have been seeing apparitions, but they've never been dangerous. But in the previous two years students and faculty have been going missing and haven't reappeared. The police haven't been able to solve this, and now students are claiming to be hearing voices and have been acting differently. The disappearances started with one every few months, but the cases have been becoming more and more frequent, and there have been two in the past four days."

"I see," I mutter. Closing my notebook and placing it gently on my desk I stand up and begin pacing. Walking into the common area I see a shadow lingering outside the door, a hand faltering before knocking lightly. Sighing I stride over, "We'll be over as soon as we can."

I can hear the silence over the line, the man clearly unsure of what to say. Before wishing him a good day I hear him hesitantly mutter, "There's a student here who referred me to you, she said that something was wrong, that fox fires are all over the building, whatever that means. I believe her name is Taniyama, she's had me assure you that a dorm room would be cleared for your home base, so to speak. We look forward to your help." The line goes dead and I just stand there staring.

Taniyama, I only know one Taniyama, Mai. Is that where she is now? The East Wing of the University of West Tokyo, it wouldn't surprise me. But what would Mai be studying, she didn't ever seem too interested in school.