Chapter 3: Conflicts

Ash walked down the attic stairs. He closed it and walked to his room. He noticed the living room lights were still on. He debated whether he should say 'goodnight' to his mom or not.

"Goodnight!" he yelled. He leaned over the wood railing of the stair case. He waited for a 'goodnight' back, but he didn't get one.

"Goodnight!" he yelled a bit louder.

Nothing.

"Mom?" he asked, now worried. He walked around the railing and walked down the stairs. Olivia followed behind him. He looked in the living room.

His mother wasn't there. Olivia glanced at the door. There was a laugh and a car driving off. Ash walked over to the door and opened it. His mother was coming to the door, smiling. She looked at Ash, surprised.

"I thought you were asleep." she said.

"Who was that?" he asked. He closed the door when she got inside. She put down an envelope on the coffee table.

"Just a guy I work with." she walked in the kitchen. Ash followed behind her and Olivia followed behind him. He hasn't even noticed her behind him.

"Wait, a guy?" Ash asked, sounding upset. His mother opened a cabinet, taking out a cup of noodles.

"Yea, a guy." she said while putting water in the cup after opening it. She put a plastic over it and put it in the microwave.

"What's this 'guy's name?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"John Miles is his name." She said, putting her hands on her hips.

"He sounds kind of suspicious." Olivia said, floating.

"He does" Ash said, forgetting that only he can see her. Olivia giggled.

"He what?" his mother asked, clearly confused. He shook his head. He didn't want to explain that's there a living ghost in their house. Or he just wants to tell her when he feels like it.

He walked out of the kitchen, going up the stairs. He stopped halfway because his mom called him.

"What?" he yelled.

"Will you go check out the school tomorrow. I know they don't start until next week but I want you to go see how it is. Who knows maybe you'll even make a new friend before you start."

"I will" he lied. His mom leaves around 9 am. He'll probably wake up around one in the afternoon. He continued up the stairs, to his room, locking the door, and collapsing on his bed.

"Technically first day in the new house and I've meet a ghost, been in paranormal activity, and almost turned in to air itself. I seriously think you did that on purpose." he said, looking at Olivia, that was looking at his clock strangely.

"Well I did it on accident and on purpose. I can't really handle my movement yet, which frustrates me, making everything around me move, but I don't really understand how I managed to put the pots face down and on the edge of the kitchen." Olivia looked around his room, examining everything.

"Wait, let me get this straight, so you can't even handle your own power? You picked up the book in the attic."

"I mean by moving things from far away. It's hard to move things from far away.," Olivia looked at his iPod strangely, "What is that?"

"It's an iPod. Haven't you seen one?"

Olivia pouted, "Well I've been dead for 30 years! Last thing I saw was a newspaper, dirt, my brother, and a tree without leaves."

He smiled, "sorry"

"You don't look sorry"

"I am sorry"