Chapter 10

Still a bit shocked from my brief pleasant encounter with Scarlett, I walked back over to the fence where the boys were. A few of them must have wandered off because there was definitely less standing there than there was before. I approached Luke and we began talking again.

“So, are you having fun?” Luke asked, taking a sip from his Rum & Coke.

“Yeah, thank you for inviting me…” I replied shyly

“Ah it was the least I could do, I’m just surprised you’re still on the ground and haven’t climbed up a tree yet” he teased. We both laughed.

“I’m never going to live that down, am I?”

“Never!” He chuckled. I spotted Sarah out of the corner of my eye and waved for her to come over. She came closer and threw her arm around my shoulder. I could tell she was pretty tipsy already.

“Lydiaaaaaaaaaaaaa,” she slurred slightly, pushing her weight onto me and forcing me to edge closer to Luke “Ooh! Where’d you get the blueberry Cruiser from?!” She squealed, snatching it and having some.

“Scarlett, actually” I replied with a giggle at her heightened outgoingness. She raised her eyebrow and handed it back to me.

“I bet she spat in it or something” she said suspiciously.

“Maybe not, she apologised to me… It seemed pretty sincere.”

“Well then…” she began, raising her finger “Cheers to drunk people making amends!” She clinked her Midori Splice against my bottle. Luke & I exchanged a quick rolling of the eyes and touched our drinks together in agreement.

* * * * *

It wasn’t long before I started to really feel the alcohol hitting me. My vision began to blur a little and I found myself poking my cheeks and not being able to feel a thing. Luke had left me and Sarah to go mingle with some of his fans, so the two of us wandered off inside to dance. I could see girls whispering to each other and shooting me dirty looks across the room, but it didn’t phase me at all. I just laughed and finished what was left of my third drink. Wait, maybe it was my fourth. Or fifth. I’d lost count. Not that it bothered me, I used to drink a LOT more than this back in Brisbane. I pulled out my phone to check the time. It was just after midnight. Locking the screen and tucking it back into my bra I swiveled around to find Sarah making out with a boy.

“OH YEAH, HOOK IN YEAH!” I yelled loudly, doing my best drunken Pauly D impersonation. She raised her middle finger in my direction mid-hookup, which made me laugh uncontrollably. I squinted to see who it was exactly that she was kissing before realising that it was Luke’s older brother Beau. That made it even more exciting, she’d always told me how hot she thought he was.

Feeling a little left out and awkward at the fact my best mate was making out somewhat violently with my crush’s sibling, I decided I’d let them be and find the bathroom. I found myself stumbling and I could tell that people were looking at me concerned, but I was having a blast so I took no notice. Out of nowhere, I managed to somehow trip over my own feet while walking down the hallway. I felt a pair of strong arms wrap themselves around my body and pull me back up. It was Luke.

“Little bit drunk there are we, Jungle Freak?” He laughed, slurring his words slightly.

“Not evennnn, Stevennnnn!” I replied with a giggle.

“You should probably sit down,” He said, raising an eyebrow.

“But if i sit downnnn, then I won’t be able to walk to the bathroom and that would be badddddddddd”

“I’ll take you there then,” Luke chuckled, using his right arm to support me around my waist. I agreed, leaning my head on his shoulder and nuzzling him like a cat, purring.

“Okay no, you DEFINITELY need to sit down.” He stated in a worried tone. I assured him I was fine, just a little happy, but then my vision started to blur again. The room started spinning and I could hear him asking me if I was okay but for some reason I couldn’t seem to reply.

Then everything went black.