Chapter 2

I’d picked up a lot of bad habits while I was in Brisbane. Smoking was one of them. I waited until I heard distant snoring drifting from the other room before slipping on my favourite hoodie and opening my window. The house was old and there were no guard screens, so I held onto the frame and pushed myself gently out and onto the tiled roof. It was freezing. My hands were numb and I could already tell my lips were beginning to turn blue, but I stayed put. Opening the deck of cigarettes I’d brought along with me, I lit one, breathed in, then sighed. Much better.

         I leant back and placed my head onto the roof, looking up at the stars. I wonder what the crew’s doing back in Brissie… I thought, taking in another draw. I lay there for a while, letting the cold Melbourne air sink in through my skin. Imagining all the stressful shit I was going to be forced into the next day.

I wasn’t looking forward to having to make new friends. In fact, I decided I wasn’t going to make any at all. Not that I would be a rude bitch to everyone, but I really just don’t see the point in friendship. To be honest, I’ve never really been good with people. When I let down my guard and someone comes into my life they tend to walk all over me while I do nothing about it. I’ve always been the weak one I guess. Well, that’s not what I’m going to be like down here. I’m a lone wolf, it’s time to live by my own rules.

* * * * *

BRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGBRINGBRINGRBRBRBRRBRIINNNGG!!!

Suddenly I went flying out of my bed and onto the floor.

         “Holy shit… What the hell is that?” I mumbled, still in shock. I scanned the room to find the source of the earsplitting noise before finding an old black alarm clock perched on the bedside table. Grandma must have set it while I was in bed… Smacking the OFF button, the blaring ringing stopped and silence filled the air. Still half asleep, I leant backwards and sprawled out on the carpet. Someone appeared in the doorway.

         “Lydia Patricia Collins!” a familiar voice interrupted my relaxation. “You better get dressed or you’re going to be late for your first day of school!”

“Right. School. I’m on it.” I groaned, picking myself up and shuffling towards the bathroom.

* * * * *

Grandma insisted she drive me to school, even though I told her I was perfectly content with catching the bus. She dropped me right outside the front gates. I watched as she waved goodbye, then drove off. 

Walking through entrance, I scanned the grassy area that surrounded the pathway to the office. I got stares from the other students in their perfectly ironed college uniforms. I could just tell that I wouldn’t be accepted here simply by the way they looked at me. I brushed off their disapproving glares and continued walking to the admin block to get my timetable.

After visiting the office I went to go find my locker. Turns out its all the way down near the oval. I shoved my stuff into it and opened up the piece of paper containing my timetable. My first class was Maths, shit. It’s not like I hated maths, i just didn’t particularly enjoy it… The paper said to go to room B3. I followed the school map and after a few wrong turns, a lot of confusion and a couple more rude stares from girls- I found it.

         Whispers and giggles echoed around me as I shuffled to the only empty seat in the classroom. The teacher wasn’t there yet so everyone was doing their own thing. A few nerds were sitting silently up the front, some boys near the window were playing music on their phones and right down the back were a group of tanned, long-haired girls with incredibly short dresses. As I sat down I could see them looking at me.

“I heard she got expelled from her last school for dealing drugs in the girls’ bathroom!” Announced one of the girls sitting near the back of the room while the other two sniggered. They had to be talking about me.

“No someone else told me that it was because she lit someone’s locker on fire!” another one sneered followed by another round of laughter from the group. I put my head down and began fiddling with my pencil. My first class hadn’t even begun and I was already getting bitched about.

“She’s such a freak, look at her hair. It’s so dead that it looks like straw!” The brunette in the middle burst out.

“Shut up Scarlett, would it kill you to be nice for once?” A male voice interrupted. The group stopped straight away.

“Oh my god, I was just kidding Lukey, I love uh…” She turned to me, “it’s Linda, right?”

“Actually, it’s Lydia-”

“Linda/Lydia whatever same thing” She cut me off, before batting her eyelashes at the boy and showing off her perfectly straight white teeth in a fake smile. Bitch.

I looked over to the boy who’d stood up for me. He was cute, with brown eyes and brown hair that matched perfectly. He shot me an awkward apologetic smile before turning back to play with his iPhone. At least someone in this school seemed half decent.