Chapter 7

The final bell had just rung.

“Call me around 7 and I’ll get dad to talk to the Grandmother, kay-kay? Sarah said.

“Deal, speak to you then! So excited!” I squealed back. We hugged each other goodbye and I hopped on the bus. I took my usual seat (towards the back but a couple seats forward, next to the window). It’s only about a 15 minute ride, so soon I was swiping my Go Card at the doors and jumping off onto the footpath. Cutting through the park as I always do, I stopped and laughed at the tree where I’d made an absolute tool out of myself less than 24 hours ago.

“I bet that’ll be one of the stories I end up telling my grandkids…” I chuckled to myself.

* * * * *

At 5:30 I was called downstairs for dinner. Grandma had made Lamb Cutlets and vegetables and they smelled delicious. One thing I wasn’t gonna miss about Brisbane definitely had to be my mother’s cooking. I cringed at the thought. She burnt the food often and sometimes couldn’t even be bothered to cook anything at all, which meant my brother and I were forced to make ourselves 2 minute noodles a fair bit of the time. But my Grandmother seemed to take pride in preparing wholesome home meals. I sat down at the already-set dinner table and smiled.

“How was school dear?” Grandma asked, picking up a piece of broccoli on her fork.

“Really good! Today my Math teacher said I’m doing so well that I should consider switching to a more difficult class.” I lied (Only to make her think I’m a model student). Truth is, I’m still up the top end of my class, probably because I’m one of the only people who actually pay attention. Still, my concentration has been all over the place in that subject, thanks to Luke being in it…

“That’s excellent! Your mother was smart to send you here, you seem to be shaping up well” she smiled, looking proud of herself.

“Yup! I even made a friend!” I grinned back, “Her name’s Sarah, she’s in my Art, English and Media Classes”

“That’s wonderful to hear you’re doing so well sweetheart, when will I get to meet this Sarah girl?” she asked, still impressed over my fake Math achievement.

“Well… Maybe she could come over after school one day? We were thinking of starting a little study group for English” I lied again.

“Oh dear, that’s great! Back when I was young my girlfriends and I had a study group, It was really helpful and it made doing our homework fun”

“I can ask if she’d like to do that tomorrow then? I really want you to meet her, she’s been so supportive for me, showing me around school and helping me find my classes.” This time I wasn’t lying. Sarah had actually done all of this, it was so good having someone to tell me where everything is.

“That’s perfectly fine with me, anyone who is doing such a huge favour for my granddaughter is in my good books,” Grandma said, taking a sip of water “Maybe you two could have a little sleepover this weekend? Since you’ve been behaving so well.”

“Actually, I wanted to ask you that…” I took a breath, “Sarah’s dad suggested we have one this Saturday at their house. They have a big TV and a heap of movies and he said he would buy us some popcorn, so we could have a girly movie night together.” I said in a hopeful tone. Grandma pursed her lips together, quite obviously thinking twice about letting me out of her sight for an entire night.

“Hmmm…. I’d have to speak to her father to make sure it’s okay with him. I don’t want you just inviting yourself over there and intruding on their family time.” She said cautiously. I told her that I would call up Sarah tonight and get her to put her dad on so they could talk. She smiled and nodded.

Everything was coming together.