⠀ CASE NO. 2: The Death of Samuel Townsend (pt. 5--FINALE)⠀

Same day

As Betty's carriage passed through the gates of her mansion, she looked up at the sky. She felt a fear begin to creep in just like how the dark threatened to take over the sky. She quivered as her eyes wandered then decidedly shut, only to open when she was to get off the carriage.

She just noticed that she was having trouble breathing but then was exacerbated by a breaking of a vase from upstairs. She dropped her files on their family's old oak chest and ran upstairs with trembling hands and tears forming in her eyes. She was so worn out.

Her legs led her to the form which seemed busy inside her father's office, the place of the crime. She was breathless but was greeted by her husband.

"Anthony?"

He turned away from the broken vase and faced his wife. "Where have you been?" he asked as he approached her with a worried look on his face.

"I discussed the case with my solicitor," she said, swallowing a lump in her throat. She looked around at the mess she specifically ordered not to clean up just yet. The blood made her squirm and so indicated to her husband that he just ignore what he had broken and better converse in the other room.

As they entered the next room, Betty explicitly announced to her husband that he and their daughter go back to America so as to stay safe.

"What is wrong? What had you concluded with your solicitor?" he asked as he gently removed the strands of hair that had stuck on his wife's sweaty forehead. "As soon as I found out you left, Philips told me that you needed me. So I arrived at the police station... only too late. Now that you're here, I will not leave you alone on this..." he assured her and engulfed her in a hug.

For a brief moment, Betty had let out a tear onto her husband's clothed shoulder. But she did not let this slow her down. She pushed her husband away and led him to their daughter's bedroom.

Determination clear as they walked through the corridor. "I was such a fool.. for even bringing her here after the news. I cannot believe a stupid part in me thought that just maybe he was still expecting to see her beautiful little face."

They reached her door and hastily grabbed the knob but was not able to twist it. She tried again, the look of desperation developing in her face.

"Anthony! Why had she locked the door?" she called on her husband as she slammed her palm on the door.

"I- I don't know." He then tried to open the door but it still wouldn't budge.

Already panicky, Betty exclaimed, "Anthony, barge in through this door, will you!" She continually banged on the door.

"Betty, calm yourself. Let me get the keys from the servants," he then hurried down the staircase and Betty followed suit.

As they reach downstairs, Betty was already so exhausted that she opted to sit on their massive oak chest. She looked at her files, sat peacefully on the other end of the chest, in sheer hopelessness.

"Philips! Rose!" Anthony summoned and Rose quickly emerged from the kitchen. "Where may the keys be? I need them this instant."

"Oh, sir. I do not have possession of them. I believe the keys are with Philips." With this Betty advanced to a random direction and called out for Philips.