Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I sat alone as my family began to grieve for my mother. If I saved her I would kill us all. I did not cry; I could not cry. The tears were nonexistent in my eyes; I could not yet grieve for something I had yet to lose. I wanted so badly to cry; to begin to grieve; but still she was not gone yet. Her death would devastate my family. The happiness she always brought to our home would be gone and darkness would take its place.

"Goodnight Gwen," Myla whispered as she fell into her bed. Her face swollen and tear stained. She had already begun to process the loss of our mother. No matter how hard I tried I was still desperately holding on to her.

"Goodnight." I managed a small smile. When she was fast asleep I left the room to visit mother. I needed her guidance.

"Mama?" I asked kneeling next to her; the dragon egg nestled in my lap.

"Gwendolyn, my baby." She cooed raising a shaking hand in an attempt to stroke my cheek but her hand fell back to her side.

"Mama," I smiled but it to soon fell from my lips.

"What is wrong my love?" He voice no longer held the chipper tone that it once had.

"I do not know what to do. I feel so lost." I cried into my hands my tears flowing freely.

"Tell me," she whispered meekly. Instead of speaking I brought the egg into the light of the fire.

"Oh. Gwendolyn," she looked at me breathlessly a small spark returned to her eyes. "You are an Ascensorem."

"Papa called me the same thing? What does that mean?"

"It means danger Gwen. You must understand that first and foremost. The King possesses a deep hatred for the Ascensorem, for the dragon riders."

My heart pounded as she spoke, dragons? Was that what I had seen in the woods? Was it a dragon egg that was lying in my lap? So many questions had begun to build up. I had only thought dragons were of myth and legend.

"For many years humans were chosen to work with a dragon partner and help maintain peace in the lands. Thousands of years ago you were chosen to be paired with this dragon." Her hand rested on the egg.

"Where are the others then? The other," I fumbled over the strange word. "ascensorem?"

"Thirty years ago all of the Ascensorem that remained in Laymeria after the King's decree were killed upon discovery. I believe some escaped into other countries, but in Laymeria there are no more." All of my earlier elation vanished. Dead. Murdered. A part of me shriveled up. I was the only Ascensorem in Laymeria. I felt insignificant all over again.

"Why did he do that?" My voice was small.

"No one really knows exactly why. The most popular rumor is that he grew tired of their involvement in Laymeria's affairs. Others believe that he disliked the pedestal on which the Ascensorem where placed. All I know is that they are gone, except for you." My mother's voice had grown weaker and weaker the longer she spoke.

"Why me?" I buried my head into her shoulder.

"Of that I am not sure but I do know that you are strong Gwen. Your strength and your compassion are your greatest attributes. Do not ever forget that."

"I love you Mama." I whispered.

"I love you Gwendolyn. Promise me one thing?"

"Anything." My sadness was starting to overwhelm me. The more time passed the closer I grew to losing my mother forever. I tried to cherish any moments I had with her but it was hard to ignore her deteriorating state.