Chapter 4: Graduation

Health class was interesting. Everyone in the class found it awesome and hilarious. When the teacher is talking about sex and masturbation, who wouldn’t laugh?

Savannah was a different story all together though. She stayed silent for most of the class, not even sparing a glance to anyone but her friend from advanced algebra. I couldn’t stop and try to listen to the teacher, because it was downright hilarious listening to a sixty-year-old woman talk about the things most of the class tried almost every single day (or night when no one’s watching).

It was amusing, but I couldn’t focus on it.

All my attention was on Savannah. Even though she was still probably angry, I had hopes she’d had forgiven me even just a little bit.

I tried listening to the lecture again, but I had to laugh at the way Mrs. Hampshire said penis or sex. Her Australian accent was endearing and hilarious.

The bell rang, and I tried catching up to Savannah right after. She quickly ran off to her next class, but I stopped her in the hallway. I grabbed her arm, and pulled her right beside the restrooms.

“Alex?” She asked, her eyes in a weird dazed look.

“Did you take your pills?” I demanded.

She shook her head. She was pouting, and it made her seem like the girl from the beach she was from years ago.

“Why?” I asked. I pushed away the fringes from her sweat-beaded forehead.

“It freaks me out.” She frowned. “Alex?”

“Yeah?”

“Why are you talking to me?”

I gave her a small smile. “I don’t know.” I admitted. “I just felt like I needed to talk to you.”

“Don’t talk to me.” She glared. My smile twisted into a scowl.

“Why?” I demanded.

“Because you hurt me already. I don’t want to get hurt again.”

She left my grasp and walked to her next class silently. I didn’t know what she was talking about, or why she was saying those things, but I knew immediately it had something to do with the events from last year.

Savannah started walking to the opposite direction.

“You could try actually to talk to me, you know?” I yelled to no one.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Time passed the whole Senior class quickly, and before we knew it, we were graduating already, wearing navy togas that matched the caps we decorated sometime that week as well. So there we were, in the school grounds in our last few hours in that hell hole that we never knew we’d come to like and miss talking trash about every night and morning. Every Senior was standing in line, waiting for their turn to walk to their seats. I was one of those Seniors that came with a stupid smirk on my face.

Soon enough, we were called to walk through the aisle with everyone’s eyes on the one walking through it. I don’t know how the teachers arranged a few hundred names in alphabetical order, but I felt the smirk growing as Felicia Cameron walked through, telling me that I was going to go next. I was finally graduating, and I didn’t know what I would do after it, to be perfectly honest.