47 | Home

Music: Homecoming, Thomas Bergersen

                       Katara felt as if she were floating. Floating like the clouds in the sky, elevated like the minute droplets and frozen crystals of her element reaching for the sun. After years of dragging herself from one futureless day to another, becoming a mere shadow of herself, somehow in the past six weeks of traveling with Zuko she'd finally found the shattered pieces of herself and now her previously uprooted heart blossomed in the knowledge that she'd finally come home.

She'd never slept better. Lying in Zuko's arms, she actually began to recognize the patterns the light peeking through the heavy curtains made on the ceiling when she woke up, and for the first time in years her body became accustomed to the same bed. Until their wedding night, she had to sneak into Zuko's room each night, though, playing cat and mouse with the Lord Chamberlain and his resolve to keep them apart. It was an amusing situation that they agreed they could come to miss when his interference wasn't needed anymore.

She was glowing with a new purpose and determination, or rather a purpose and determination rediscovered over the course of the past six weeks, and she was adamant to contribute.

She helped douse the last fires in the city and assisted in the Fire Nation Capital Hospital, along with Zuko's mother - Katara with her bending water and Ursa with her medicinal cures. And her help was appreciated - not only by Zuko, but also by her father's waterbenders and the Fire Nation healers.

When she and Zuko went to see off Admiral Jee, the sight of Hakoda's fleet lining the harbor entrance gave Katara an idea. The ships would remain there until spring, and many a curious gaze was already cast at the proud, exotic ships from the quay. She asked her father to allow groups of Fire Nation citizens to go on small boat trips off the coast with his cutter sailing ships. Hakoda's captains were a bit reluctant at first and only grudgingly agreed, mostly to please their Princess, but it didn't take very long before they actually started to enjoy showing off their sailing skills to the impressed Fire Nation people.

                       Fire Lady-Mother Ursa was the first invited to set foot on the Southern Water Tribe flagship. A gentle wind softly played through her long black hair, and her delicate, thoughtful features displayed a sincere curiosity as she boarded the ship where Hakoda, Bato, and the ship's captain were waiting to welcome her, understated elegance speaking from her movements.

"This is Zuko's mother?" Bato disbelievingly mumbled under his breath when Ursa stepped from the gangplank, followed by a lady-in-waiting and the customary two guards from the Royal Procession. "By La, she's beautiful."

Duty had kept him on board the ship when Zuko and Katara had arrived at the Royal Plaza, and therefore he'd missed the opportunity to meet her.

Hakoda hummed in agreement, and it didn't escape Bato's attention that there was an odd softness to his expression as he did so. He delicately raised one eyebrow. For more than ten years his best friend had grieved for his beloved Kya. Could it be that his heart had finally opened up to someone again, and that this person was no one other than his daughter's future mother-in-law who also happened to live halfway across the world? Bato suppressed an amused smile. Trust Hakoda to make things difficult for himself.

Ursa's composed features lit up when she spotted the three men, but Bato was pretty sure her smile was meant solely for Hakoda. This was getting interesting.

He stepped forward with a huge smile of his own and made a Water Tribe bow for the Fire Lady-Mother.

"Welcome aboard our flagship, Your Majesty. Before we will pull out to sea, we would like to give you a little tour of the ship."