13 | Hilarious

Music: Snowfall, Two Steps From Hell

Sailing southwards, the Water Tribe vessel cut an elegant path through the gentle waves, the ship's blue sails billowing in the stinging polar winds. Tiny snowflakes swirled around the mainmast and covered the wooden deck in the first dustings of the snow that the area was known for.

Three days had passed since the Water Tribe ship had left the small harbor on Kyoshi Island, and the weather had slowly started to change as the ship drew closer to the South Pole with each gust of icy wind.

It was already late in the afternoon when the door leading below deck opened and Zuko appeared, looking around searchingly. His gaze was drawn toward the Water Tribe man who was leaning over the bow to light the beacon that hung from the high stern. The crew member was clad in a graceless but warm Water Tribe parka, and Zuko envied him as he stomped his feet to stay warm, his breath forming clouds of steam in the sharp chill of the polar air. In this harsh environment, his woolen cloak didn't do much to retain the warmth he was emanating by raising his body temperature.

As the crew member slid back to the safety of the deck, golden light cast a warm glow on the ship's sharp outlines, resembling the majestic appearance of the polar wolf. Impressed by the view, Zuko momentarily stayed to watch the beacon moving gently in the wind, and he nodded politely when the man passed him by on the way back. In response, the crew member cast him a wary glance before quickly disappearing below deck.

Zuko ignored it and instead followed the sound of water spraying against the bow.

When they had embarked in this - in Zuko's eyes - tiny Water Tribe ship, the firebender had had strong doubts about its seaworthiness, compared to the steel-clad steamers he was accustomed to. But Katara had assured him, eyes sparkling with excitement, that Water Tribe ships were a lot faster and more trustworthy than the lumbering Earth Kingdom ones. And since Katara had had to overcome similar discomfort upon entering a Fire Nation ship, he'd decided to cast off his doubts and trust Katara's judgment on this.

When the ship had left the Kyoshian port, Zuko and Katara had silently watched the island disappear in the distance, until the dark of night had obscured the snowcapped mountains, too. Then they had turned their gazes south, towards their next destination.

Two people standing at the quay watched the Water Tribe ship as it left the Kyoshi Island harbor, setting course for the South Pole. They didn't speak.

With great difficulty, the village leader had convinced Suki not to join Zuko and Katara when she'd learned about their next destination. The two benders needed to complete their journey alone.

Now she stood motionless at the quay and finally turned to leave as the Water Tribe ship disappeared from sight.

Oyaji's voice breaking the strained silence stopped her.

"You made the right decision, Suki. This is not your journey to undertake," the village leader said quietly. He gave the young woman a sideways look and saw that her cheeks were glistening with tears.

Suki closed her blue eyes and touched her necklace. "This was the last time," she said, her voice low. "I've had enough. No more."

Then she walked off, her short auburn tresses waving in the wind. And as Oyaji watched her go, he knew that this time she meant it.

Aboard the Water Tribe vessel, Zuko was surprised to be immersed in the uninhibited familiarity with which the Southern Water Tribe crew members treated Katara and the Fire Lord accompanying her, as opposed to the submissive way the Fire Nation crew had acted toward them before. It was a wistful experience for the Fire Lord, who struggled every day with the isolation his predecessors had cultivated for themselves, effectively taking their successor hostage when he'd come to the throne.