27 | Balance

Music: Evergreen, Two Steps From Hell

                    Golden rays of weak autumnal sunlight hesitantly peeked through the small window of the small room in the modest house in Ba Sing Se's Upper Ring district as Toph stirred, noticing a slight change in the environment. She smiled when something soft touched her forehead, and for the moment she allowed herself to nestle somewhat closer into her pillow's neck, until the rustle of heavy robes in the doorway made consciousness come rushing back to her. The moment her ears perked up at the sound, it was already gone, though.

That was it. Now she was awake.

Toph sighed and decided to lay still for a little while longer and listen to her pillow's even breathing. Carefully, she rested her hand on his arm and marveled at the smooth texture of the skin.

Last night had been a rough one again. Toph's presence next to him wasn't enough to keep Aang's nightmares at bay anymore. A few days ago, they had returned and intensified with each passing night. As always, Aang had been screaming for her, his whole body shivering, as tears poured down his cheeks and onto her nightgown. At one point, Toph even had to use earthbending to keep him down. After that, he had relaxed and had subconsciously reached for her.

"Katara..." he'd sighed helplessly and Toph had closed her eyes resignedly as he tightened his arms around her. She knew what he would say next. "I'm sorry..."

The first time he had whispered these words, Toph had lain awake for the rest of the night, cursing her luck that she had to fall in love with yet another boy hopelessly devoted to another girl.

However, as one night followed another and it kept happening, she had started to wonder just what it was that made him repeat his apology to the waterbender, time and time again. And she'd started to notice that the whispered plea for forgiveness followed the tightening of his arms around her. She'd begun to look forward to this moment in which as the airbender would pull her into his chest and finally fall asleep. 

Toph knew he still suspected that she knew far more about Iroh's plans concerning Zuko and Katara than she let on. She felt it as his eyes warily followed her and her mentor's movements around the house; she heard the silent question burning behind innocent remarks. He was only partially right, though.

Living with Iroh for three years had taught Toph a lot about the Order of the White Lotus, but most of that time, she and Iroh had simply enjoyed living a quiet life together, the mentor and his pupil, in the legendary city of Ba Sing Se.

That was, until a certain letter had arrived. A letter from the fortuneteller of Makapu Village. She hadn't been allowed to hear its contents, but it had caused Uncle, who loved Ba Sing Se so dearly, to immediately put aside all of his business and start preparing for their trip to Omashu, thousands of miles away from Ba Sing Se.

Only once they had arrived in the Golden City had Iroh slightly lifted the veil of his mysterious plans, stating that he would need her help with them. He'd asked her to distract Aang on the first night of their arrival and - the most difficult part of all - take care of Aang upon his discovery of Katara's disappearance.

During their conversation in the Omashu Royal Palace, Toph had been honest with Aang and had shared with him what little knowledge she had about Zuko and Katara's objectives and their importance to the Order's future. He had refused to believe, though, that she didn't know more than she'd told him. And of course, he had resented her part in Iroh's schemes concerning them.

But upon their return to Ba Sing Se, the nightmares had started to overshadow everything else; Aang let the topic rest, resigning himself to simply enjoying their time together. The nightmares appeared to be intensifying Aang's need to be close to her, which Toph secretly cherished.