43 | Hover

Music: Wolf King, Two Steps From Hell

                      Zuko felt a violent push and he stumbled forward. Being forced to his knees, a stinging pain shot through his left shin as it roughly impacted with the uneven ground. Wincing in pain, he straightened his back, eyes rising to the slate grey gaze of his girlfriend. The disinterest they usually expressed had been replaced by a nervousness he had never seen with her before.

His eyes narrowed. Yes, it was definitely nervousness and...a bit of shame, he noted with surprise. His gaze darkened, but before he could say anything, Mai had averted her face.

Zuko clenched his fists. How could she? How could she have betrayed him, betrayed the Fire Nation like this? She had every right to be angry - no, to be furious with him - but to hand him over to the very group that sought his doom and for this goal was willing to sacrifice the future of the dragon species? Nothing could justify that. Any guilt he had felt toward her burnt away in the wake of the rage coursing through him.

General Bujing let out a scornful laugh as he sauntered over to the egg gleaming in the torchlight which illuminated Fire Lord Sozin's last resting place.

"Isn't it ironic, Your Majesty, how all at once everything you hold dear and deemed safe can slip through your fingers in a matter of seconds?" He patted the egg with his ringed hand and Zuko cringed at the hollow sound the metal made on the vulnerable shell.

Gritting his teeth, he resisted the urge to fly at the old nobleman. General Bujing saw his struggle and afforded himself a small smirk.

"No need for shallow emotions there, Your Majesty. The egg's destiny was sealed when we took it from the Sun Warriors' temple. Nice civilization you're keeping there, by the way. Not something Your Majesty was inclined to share with the public, I presume? I bet it would be a huge competitor with Ember Island for the Fire Nation tourists..."

"Get to the point, General," Zuko finally snapped. "What is it you want of me, in exchange for this egg?"

Surprised, the general raised his eyebrow and looked at Admiral Chan, who silently stood behind Zuko, holding him down.

"Do you hear that, Chan? He thinks there's something left to trade. It's rather moving, don't you think..." He drew closer to Zuko, "that the Fire Lord is actually willing to give up his position, all that he cares for..." His gaze flitted towards Mai, "...to save a dragon's egg." He bowed forward, bringing his face closer to Zuko's, then suddenly his expression changed into a furious, contemptuous scowl and he hissed, "The Fire Nation is ruled by an infant!"

A strange feeling of melancholy came over Zuko while looking at the old man's features. So much ugly hatred.

"Is Mai part of this?" His voice sounded dull, weary, and the general smirked.

"In what way exactly?"

Zuko's features hardened. "Did Mai participate in stealing the egg from the Sun Warriors' temple, or not?" he hissed through clenched teeth.

From the corner of his eyes, Zuko thought he saw Mai move as if she wanted to say something, but the general silenced her with a warning gesture.

"No, Your Majesty, she did not. Does this satisfy you?"

"Hardly," Zuko responded almost automatically, as he was frantically searching for a way out of this mess. He knew he could break free from Admiral Chan's hold, but they were too far away from the egg to make a run for it. General Bujing had strutted back to the egg, and Zuko couldn't take the risk of him smashing it to pieces, even if this went against the old man's interest.