Chapter 03

AN: Just a note that it's your responsibility to comment and tell me if I'm a horrible writer or I might waste my whole life trying to do it. I'll be poor and living in a bad neighbourhood where I eventually meet my demise from eating too many packets of ramen noodles... Just saying...

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

Albert Einstein

Professor McGonagall went on to say that she would be pairing each student with someone of a different house. Everyone started to murmur and groan because this class was all Slytherins and Gryffindors.

"However..." She hastened. "If, and I mean if, you all work well together for this first half of the year, I will consider putting houses together for the other half. If you choose to not cooperate and learn to work well together in my class you will be staying put" she said her voice reverberating around the room.

Professor McGonagall had this way of controlling a class with ease, she was a smart witch and Scarlet rather admired her, not that she would be telling her Slytherin cohorts that. Professor McGonagall enforced the seating plan and then got them trying to turn matches into needles. Scarlett was paired with a boy who had sandy coloured hair and an Irish accent, his name was Seamus, and he was lovely.

Scarlet sat down next to him and smiled, he in reaction folded his arms and made a noise like 'Hmmpf'. This made Scarlet giggle which in turn made Seamus seem rather like he was trying to keep down a smile. The boys struggle in the quest of seriousness just made Scarlet laugh even more and finally this resulted in the boy cracking a smile and saying "I was trying to be angry at you" in a rhythmic Irish accent. "Oh?" Scarlett chimed still laughing, "Well what did I do to make you mad?" she asked in a teasing tone now half turned in her chair facing him.

Seamus looked a bit confused, "you didn't do anything per say, but you're a Slytherin" He said as explanation. "Well I can't help that can I?" Scarlet countered, the boy looked menaced. "No I suppose not, but I thought you would... Well I've just been told Slytherins are, you know evil and all that" he said still looking confused about the whole situation. "I'm afraid I do" Scarlett said looking a bit dismal, "but we're not all like that, anyway I heard that Gryffindors are self obsessed" she said poking fun "WE ARE NOT!" Seamus practically shouted. Professor McGonagall gave him a sharp stern look and he blushed. "Sorry professor" he said in a much quieter voice.

"We are not" Seamus whispered after a while without the Professors gaze on him. "No I didn't say you were, I said I've been told" Scarlet corrected. "Alright, alright I get your point" Seamus said reluctantly, as if it was his mother telling him how he should behave, "but I'm still glad I got paired with you and not that Zilah girl, she seems completely bonkers, you know Lee Jordan says she tried to fist fight him at primary school" Seamus said as he looked to the back of the classroom at Zilah. Scarlet broke into laughter once again.

Professor McGonagall told them that 'that was their last chance and if she heard one more word from them they would be getting detention' although a little crack of a smile lay on the Professors lips. Scarlett thought McGonagall might be actually a little pleased with herself for getting a Slytherin and Gryffindor talking, after all it was a difficult task to accomplish.

At lunch Scarlet and Zilah walked into the hall to see, once again, Matt sitting with Theodore, Blaise, Goyle, Crabbe and of course Draco. Scarlet was about to say that they should sit somewhere else when Zilah zipped past her and sat down quickly wanting to get to lunch in as little time as possible. Before Scarlet had gathered herself Zilah was signalling at her to hurry up. Scarlett groaned on the inside but despite herself went to sit down with her friend.
There were Slytherin students sitting on either side of the group leaving the only spot right in the middle of Blaise and Draco, Scarlett gave a sigh of full resignation.