Chapter 02

AN: Another chapter up, I hope you like it.

"It's hard, but sometimes it is better to have no friends for a time than to have the wrong friends. The wrong group can lead you down all kinds of paths you really don't want to be on. And retracing your steps can be a long and hard journey."

Sean Covey

Scarlet invited the boy who had lost his toad who she now knew as Neville to sit with her and the twins for the rest of the journey. They both animatedly told the story of their encounter with the bullies to the boys in the compartment. Scarlet then waited an appropriate amount of time to once again go and attempt to change into her school robes, this time successfully.

When the train finally reached its destination Neville and Scarlett went along with the first years who were being called and told to go and be sorted via the 'classic' trip across the eerie lake to get to Hogwarts Castle in the rickety enchanted boats that floated upon the dark waters.

The scenery was stunning. The castle was lit up in golden lights and surrounded by beautiful lush green that looked velvety and full in the dark night sky. Scarlet was told to go and sit in a boat with a girl, who's name was Alise and a boy who's name was Theodore. The lake itself was almost black but where the lanterns, which were tied to the bow of the boats, shone you could see a murky green colour become clear.

Alise was very talkative. Scarlet quickly learnt her favourite colour was yellow, she had and owl named Delilah, although she called it dill 'because it acted like one', and finally that she thought she was going to be placed in Gryffindor. When she said this Theodore who hadn't said a word the whole trip scoffed and scowled at her from under his dark wavy hair, this made Alise quieten down a bit.

Once they got to land the first years were sent to the great hall with Professor McGonagall to be sorted. Professor McGonagall was a stern looking witch wearing robes of all dark blue, so dark in fact that they could easily be mistaken for black. Although she wasn't addressing Scarlet directly she certainly made an impression on her, which resulted in Scarlet standing resolutely quietly and still while nervously waiting for her name to be called with the others. She spied the twins sitting at the Gryffindor table through the crowd, although they would have been hard to miss considering their bright hair and the fact that there were two of them.

She looked at the ceiling truly in awe of the beauty. It was an enchanted ceiling that took the form of one of Scarlet's favourite sights, the night's sky. The star's seemed to wink at her and the moon glowed down smiling as though it knew a secret of Scarlet's that she was not to be let in on just yet. She smiled back at it repressing a wave that would have looked very strange to her contemporaries.

It was soon her turn to don the hat, her last name beginning with a B. She stepped up to the stool feeling the eyes on her back. When the hat was placed on her head she got a shock from hearing it's voice rattle in her head, it was a very unsettling feeling.

"Scarlet Blackwood. Hmm rather interesting. You're smart no doubt, but I'm afraid your work ethic is terrible," The hat said contemplating "Hey I can hear you, you know" Scarlet scolded and she heard a few giggles erupt from the students observing the happening. "Ah I see your pride is well intact, possibly a Slytherin?" the hat seemed to be asking a question. Scarlet swallowed 'I suppose I never thought of that as an option' she thought a little bewildered. "Well you have the witt, the cunning and there is most certainly planted within you the seeds of greatness. Slytherin!" The hat shouted out before Scarlet felt settled enough to even think about the idea.

Scarlet was in a state of shock. Slytherin? She had never even thought of the possibility, but here she was walking slowly over to the green and silver table, the members of the house clapping enthusiastically, an insular bunch as they were, the sound made even louder due to the echo producing room. She sat down at the end with the other two first years that had been sorted into Slytherin already. "Mathew Able" one of the two first years introduced himself putting out his hand to shake. He was a kind looking boy, brown haired and brown eyed with a nice smile, not what Scarlet had pictured a Slytherin to look like at all, but to be fair she was also in Slytherin now and she was sure that everyone was thinking she looked more like a Hufflepuff.