Smells Like Teen Spirit

Chapter 38: Smells Like Teen Spirit

-

"Here we are. Senior year." The four best friends all stood in front of their high school, embracing the fact that they were starting their last first day of what was supposed to be the greatest four years of their lives off with a bang.

"Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?" Bonnie questioned, continuing to keep her gaze on Mystic Falls High School. She expected for them to feel some sort of superiority now that they were finally seniors, but it felt completely normal. Well, as normal as their lives could possibly be.

"Okay. So prank night was a bust. But we are accepting it, and we are moving on." Caroline brought up the events that occurred during their senior prank night, which Amalia hadn't gotten to participate in seeing as the moment she arrived at the school things had already begun to go downhill.

"You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?" Bonnie put on a facade, pretending as if Jeremy's several encounters with his ex-girlfriends didn't bother her, though it bothered her more than she could even began to express.

"Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day?" Caroline shared her own experience in which Tyler Lockwood was now not only a werwolf, but a vampire as well.

"And you know, it's not like my thousand year old, lunatic of an ex-boyfriend manipulated me into spending what could have been the rest of my life with him." Lia added, relating their equally terrible situations to her summer vacation with satan himself.

"Today's our anniversary. Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year." Elena's entire face fell as she remembered the moment that she had run into Stefan Salvatore in the hallway, thus beginning their relationship, which wasn't at a strong point at the moment.

"Yeah, you win."

✰✰✰

Amalia stared at her empty locker as she looked back on her summer. She had wasted three months of her life with the person she hated the most and the person she hated the least, which ended up being an awful combination. She sighed as she considered all of the memories she could have made that summer instead of spending it where she felt trapped in her own body.

Stefan Salvatore approached her, shutting her locker shut and directing all of her attention on him. "Cheer up, Charlie. There's no need to pout."

"Coming from you, the king of brooding." She looked at him, taking in the emptiness inside of him. He was gone... completely and utterly gone.

"Ugh, I know. It's kind of pathetic how much I used to care." He scoffed as if that part of him had been washed away and was never going to make a comeback.